Sources of vibration?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
AMCQ46

Re: Sources of vibration?

Post by AMCQ46 »

No other symptoms other than high frequency vibration through bars and pegs, no grumbling if worked hard in low gears that I can remember.

Just done a quick search for workshop pressure gagues and not found much other that USA sites offering a chromed gauge for a crusier. anybody know a good source of a basic pressure gauge with hose and a range of fittings to suit a jap bike?
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/ is a good shop i use for bits n pieces.... pretty sure they sell gauges.
or you could have a nosey round a local car scrapyard & pinch a gauge off something?
not sure what fittings you will need - the pressure readings are in the pdf manual m8

as its high frequency vibes, im wondering if it's something else & not the mains....
could be the clutch bearing tbh - does yours do the grabby thing?

IF ITS NOT GROWLING UNDER LOAD AND RUMBLING THROUGH THE PEGS THEN I DOUBT VERY MUCH THAT ITS THE MAINS M8

(caps sry!)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

benny hedges wrote:
as its high frequency vibes, im wondering if it's something else & not the mains....
could be the clutch bearing tbh - does yours do the grabby thing?

IF ITS NOT GROWLING UNDER LOAD AND RUMBLING THROUGH THE PEGS THEN I DOUBT VERY MUCH THAT ITS THE MAINS M8

(caps sry!)
yes clutch does the grabby thing, was one of my thoughts, will see what RD has to say.

Fount a cheap car aux gauge on Demon Tweeks that clains to come with hose and fitting [url]http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /16349[url]
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i think its more likely to be the clutch bearing or an output shaft...
is it the same in every gear? same frequency like?? if so its the clutch or something else on the primary side.

does it vary with speed or just engine rpm?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

This thread's exciting!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Benny I dont think I can say if the frequency changes when I am in a lower gear, I didnt try to ride any distance like that.
so cant say if it is input or output side of gearbox, might try and see If I can work out an experiment........I have NVH engineers that work for me, I might get them to instrument the bike with a couple of accelerometers :lol:
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

AMCQ46 wrote:........I have NVH engineers that work for me,
ultrasonic bearing monitoring ftw.
imagine a train going down a track, and you can hear & feel the joint in the tracks....
thats what a worn bearing sounds like with ultrasonics.

im sure your lads can sort that m8... be good training for them.
also flir cameras can spot a worn bearing with hotspots.

a long handled screwy against the ear never let me down
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Clutch centre bearing?
These quite often wear, it's fair sized caged needle roller, and apart from undoing the clutch centre nut it's an easy replacement.

You can see quite easily once you have oil and coolant out, water pump off and clutch cover off, if you can move the clutch basket at all by hand it could just be that.

Worth a look to see.

Oh, and I just damaged my frame adjuster tool again, trying to make the same tool fit two different sized nuts.
Got undone and done up again but I can see the cracks at the base of two of the pins, so it will need regrinding yet again.

if you're going to machine an old socket it's probably easiest to use two old nuts as a pattern, and make your socket fit them.
And new ones are only about a fiver each from Honda, but a breaker might let you have some for a few pence.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Cheers tony, Will add that to the list or options.

I didnt get a chance to call Roger today, work is getting a bit mad, so will try again tomorrow
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Keep up the good work AMcQ :thumbup: You've got to be narrowing it down now. Once you find the culprit it'll all be worth it,

Chris.
Bikermort

Post by Bikermort »

How did you go AMcQ?
Yamaha IT175
Honda CB900F 82
Yamaha YZ250 03
Yamaha XT600e 03
Honda VTR1000 03
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The biggest impact was changing the exhaust mounts and tweeting the jetting.... Even swapping engines didn't make any difference. I just ignore it now and ride it harder
AMcQ
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

That would drive me mad.

I did have a vibration from 4500 rpm upwards.

Like you I did lots of things to find it including the clutch bearing.

When I did some engine mods I took the anti rattle gear out and there was no difference.

I thought that might make the vibes worse for some reason.

After some recent mods I replaced the Cush drive rubbers, they were nackered!

Now the vibration is gone!

You never know!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

sometimes you have to just ride the damn thing and waight to see what gose bang..dose your head in...