EBC Front Discs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
13yearsVTRrider

EBC Front Discs

Post by 13yearsVTRrider »

Hi guys
I'd be interested to read your experiences with EBC front discs on the VTR.

I fitted a pair around 12000 miles ago - the Honda discs lasted 32000 miles but as they cost about £250 each I went for the EBC solution.

Recently I noticed the dreaded judder on braking, so I had a close look at the bobbins to see if they had seized due the salt.

I noticed one of the rotors was not aligned with the carrier which explained the long lever travel and juddering.

I had a probe around and just under half a belleville spring washer dropped out from one of the bobbins!! I inspected this and it looks as if this had been cracked for some time.

The remainder of the washer is still in place so as long as the disc runs true it should be OK. the rest of the bobbins/washers are OK

Maybe its not a cheap fix after all - 12000/32000 = nearly one third the life of a genuine part.

Any similar experiences?
Wicky

Re: EBC Front Discs

Post by Wicky »

I bought OEM replacements from DaveSilvers at about 35,000 now on 50,000 still going strong...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

13yearsVTRrider wrote:
I fitted a pair around 12000 miles ago - the Honda discs lasted 32000 miles but as they cost about £250 each I went for the EBC solution.

I noticed one of the rotors was not aligned with the carrier which explained the long lever travel and juddering.

I had a probe around and just under half a belleville spring washer dropped out from one of the bobbins!! I inspected this and it looks as if this had been cracked for some time.
i think maybe you should contact ebc and explain whats happened....
they may say thats fair usage but imo you would expect better from a reputable name.
keep us informed
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
13yearsVTRrider

The thought had crossed my mind Benny - I think I'll get on and do it - no feedback = no improvement! Cheers.
13yearsVTRrider

The wheels are in motion with EBC . Next instalment soon.
13yearsVTRrider

Would you believe a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on EBC brake discs?
I contacted Fowlers in Bristol ( my locality) - £119 each plus vat. No contest! :D Good for Honda.

While I was at Fowlers getting some bits, I sidled over to the bike showroom and had a look at a KTM RC8 ( and sat on one - brought a smile to my face) Trouble is - an 1190cc sports bike with a 16.5litre fuel tank giving a range of anything between 80 and 140 miles. :thumbdown:
I am currently getting 160 plus miles before refuelling which leaves about 2.5litres in the tank- albeit cruising up the M5 at 4500rpm and not winding on at every available opportunity - it usually takes 16.5 litres to fill it up again - although one time I got 17.6 litres in. Mind you I am using it for commuting.