Speedo not working - intermittent fault

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
markycee

Post by markycee »

Anyone got some ideas? My speedo has developed a fault eversince I did some work on the bike. I changed the 4 dash bulbs (1.7w), put a different set of tyres on it and changed the exhaust. Ever since that the speedo does not work properly. I have tried taking the dash out completely, removed all the contact screws and used some WD40 when reconnecting everything. I've checked for loose connections everywhere and cant find anything. The fault is a wierd one though. The speedo generally works for the first 5 minutes of ride, then suddenly drops out. I checked the digital mileometer and it doesnt increase either, so it seems like no signal is getting through from the sensor (wherever that is)

Anyone got some ideas for me to check next??
benny hedges

Re: Speedo not working - intermittent fault

Post by benny hedges »

check the small ring terminals on the back of the clocks... theyre probably corroded and making poor contact.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
markycee

Post by markycee »

Yeah I checke those. I remove all the screws and even swapped some from side to side and cleaned the contacts. It seems fine for the first 5 mins, but even if I hit the dash whilst riding nothing happens. Yet if I leave the bike for 10 mins it will come back to life.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

charge the battery ;)

have a look at the procedure for checking the reg rec
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

markycee wrote:Yeah I checke those. I remove all the screws and even swapped some from side to side and cleaned the contacts. It seems fine for the first 5 mins, but even if I hit the dash whilst riding nothing happens. Yet if I leave the bike for 10 mins it will come back to life.
That makes me think sender problems, could be wrong though.
If the lights stay on but there's no display on the speedo (i.e. drops to 0) but the rev counter is ok, then it's the sender.

If, on the other hand, you have complete electrical failure to the unit itself, get no backlights, no speedo reading, no rev counter then it's a power or earth to the unit, not the unit itself.

You say that if you leave the unit for 10 mins it comes back to life, so probably heat related.
No other fault fixes itself in this way.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
markycee

Post by markycee »

Hi Tony,

Thanks mate, you always seem to have a rescue plan. The lights and rev counter and temp gauge all stay on. Like I say afetr 5 mins it dies, sometimes it will come back whilst riding, but if you stop the bike for 10 mins it always resets the fault (for another 5 mins!). p.s the digitial reader and trip meter all still work as well, but simply do not increase whilst the needle drops to zero.

I know I should have bought a manual by now, but where is the sender unit on these? Are they serviceable or is it a throw away job?

tks agn
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

download the manual from the workshop section - its better than the haynes crap
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

I've got the opposite problem. Mine won't work for the first few minutes. Doesn't work at all when the bike is cold and if you warm it up then ride off without turning the ignition of and back on again, the needle bounces up and down all over the place. If you do turn it off and on again, it's fine.

Sent from my brain using my hands with that Tapatalk thingemybob.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
slightly despy newby

Post by slightly despy newby »

I got the same problem....everything else works....but the speedo needle stays at zero and then just bursts into life when it feels like it....which at the moment isn't very often :evil:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sounds like the speedo sensor sender cable is on the way out - I hope you're sitting down with a relaxing cuppa and jaffa cake when you see the new price....

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... ETER_01-05

Put part no in here:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... rt-number/

Watch on ebay for used ones for about £15- £20 - This is the only one I can see presently going for an extortionate £50! considering it's a 14-year-old second-hand part!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-FIRESTO ... _816wt_907 :crazy:
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
slightly despy newby

Ah....well I have got the earlier clocks....analogue...any ideas :crazy:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Same part no. for early or late Storms

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... ETER_98-00

SENSOR ASSY SPEED *P

Part number 37700-MBB-000 (has been superseded by Part number 37700-MBB-010)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

slightly despy newby

I've recently had the loom off while I have been rebuilding.....it worked fine before that....perhaps best I take the fairing off and have a look at my wiring....which I don't fancy doing as i've just had my paintwork done grrrrrr
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try checking the connection is tight & clean where the sensor plugs into the loom, before you go dismantling...

slightly despy newby

Wicky wrote:Try checking the connection is tight & clean where the sensor plugs into the loom, before you go dismantling...
Oh...ok....without wanting to sound like a Richard....where abouts is that....I just plugged everything back into the appropriate connectors....I don't actually know which plug is for what....does it plug into the loom under the clocks where the 2 banks of connectors are?