speedo problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mac the Knife

speedo problem

Post by Mac the Knife »

hi there was wondering if anyone can help me, my vtr recently suffered from a dead battery from being left neglected over the winter so after putting a new battery in her i have discovered that the trip meter and odometer seem to both be working in kmph :x both of these where reading in mph before this. the bike is not an import and has standard uk clocks on it, any help would be gratefully appreciated :shifty:
Wicky

Re: speedo problem

Post by Wicky »

Try a Uk battery rather than a French battery... :p

Seriously never heard of a bi-milage franglais speedo happening before...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mac the Knife

Post by Mac the Knife »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so thats what has happened :twisted: :twisted: thnx for the advice :Ball Kick:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Somehow you've stumbled across a way to alter those modes - did you press any of the dash buttons? or a voltage surge or something has somehow changed display modes.

Is your storm an early 97-01 or later model with different clocks, lager 19L tank
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Mac the Knife

Post by Mac the Knife »

only time i have pressed the buttons on the dash was when i held the reset button on the trip meter to zero it, my bike is the early version (2000) :twisted: im sure there must be a way to reset it but its just finding out what sequence is required :confused
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

try this as best you can re CBR - or a variation of considering the early VTR has no clock
This function is done AFTER the digital clock settings. To set the clock, PRESS and HOLD both the SEL button and the RESET button for more than 2 seconds. RESET button will change the hour and/or minutes, if you dont want to change that, press SEL to move on.

The speedometer displays both "mph" and "km/h."
The odometer/tripmeter displays both "mile" and "km."
Push the RESET button to select 'mph'/'mph' and 'km/h / km.'
To end the selection, push the SEL button.
The display will stop flashing automatically if the button is not pressed for about 30 seconds.

Mac the Knife

Post by Mac the Knife »

sorry aint been on for a while, unfortunately the above fix didnt work as the vtr has only one reset button on the clock and no select button :( still none the wiser for fixing this problem.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I'm puzzled as there is no indication of KM or Miles on the odometer - Speedo yes it shows MPH but the trip is just numbers in the LCD pane - Please post a pic of your clocks showing your peculiar problem.

like this

Mac the Knife wrote:sorry aint been on for a while, unfortunately the above fix didnt work as the vtr has only one reset button on the clock and no select button :( still none the wiser for fixing this problem.

Mac the Knife

Post by Mac the Knife »

i know its in kilometres by the amout the digits are going up on both odometer and trip meter, ie having ridden roughly 60 miles both the odometer and trip meter will both have went up by roughly (100). have checked the speedo is not out by getting a friend to ride alongside me and both syncronised our speed to 60mph and speedo is reading bang on. so basically on tank of fuel my red light is coming on at 150 on the clock where as before this issue it would come on around 90, crunch the numbers and you come out with it reading in kilometres :sad2 :confused
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Have you changed your sprockets/gearing by any chance?? edit. mmm then your speed would be out also

Sounds like you need to get some new clocks or adjust to riding continental distances - most bizarre

Pop into a Honda dealership and see what they can suggest *headscratch*

Mac the Knife

Post by Mac the Knife »

yeah thats my next port of call, was hoping i could fix it myself but guess im gonna have to see the experts onthis one . :(
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree, a bit of a strange one is this. It might be a good idea (if you haven't already) to check the connections on the back of the speedo, even remove them one at a time and give them a clean and refit, especially the earth connection. Also have you tested the voltage with the bike running at the battery terminals now you have the new battery fitted? It should be reading between 13.5 and 15.5 volts with the lights turned off.

Chris.
coinneach

Post by coinneach »

Thread resurrection time,im also experiencing this concern,used to experience a 70 -80+mile interval between the fuel light coming on
on refuelling last sunday reset tripmeter now odometer over reading,140 showing no low fuel light on
speedo reads fine against mates bikes and roadside speed signs,
wondered if anyone had come across any other instances of this fault
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

How bizzare. :confused There must be some sort of key combination or something to switch it back that only Honda tech's know. This could explain why some people get 120 - 130miles :roll: to a tank. 80 - 90 is more realistic.

Sorry don't know the answer. Very strange indeed. :confused

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

Humm just been looking at my Firestorm manual. When you turn the ignition on do you get the km symbol after your trip & & total meters?? If this is the case then your machine has reverted to the F, ED, IIG & U type instead of the E type which denotes miles. I'm not sure how this can of happened & the book does not give any remedy. The only thing I can guess at could be a corrupted ignition key. Ohh what version of bike do you have I am referring to the K2 on.