Loom Replacement.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jonesey

Loom Replacement.

Post by Jonesey »

Hi all, after a complete alarm/immobiliser faliure I have done some investigating and am looking at around £150+ to have it removed properly at Colchester Kawasaki.
BUT- I can get a complete loom for £25, and am wondering:
On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is a loom swap, and how long would/should it take?
All input welcomed, as well as pisstaking. :)
Chris.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
AMCQ46

Re: Loom Replacement.

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris,
I would have thought with all the body work removed, this would be reasonably easy as you have the existing loom to act as a template, so you just work from the back to the front unplugging the old one and laying the new one is as you go.

but if a 2nd hand loom, you would need to make sure it was for the correct version [clocks etc] and that it didnt have any abused or corroded or overheated connectors that would cause you problems later in life. so giving it a good inspection when it is laid out on the garage floor would be well worth the time and effort.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Chris, If you've got the time (and patients :wink: ) I don't see why you can't remove the old alarm/immobliser from the existing loom yourself. Using a wiring diagram might be useful if you get stuck.

Chris.
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

I have considered the option of removing it from the loom myself, but there is 14 wires coming from the alarm unit and hey are all BLACK.
I suppose this is to make life hard for thieves, and life even harder for owners.
Most thing mechanical I'll havea go, but electronics are not a strong point of mine.(or patience) :wink:
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

have a word with carl, he recently re-routed my loom for me and sorted out some bodge work from a previous owner. there was a brand new loom on ebay recently for £55, not sure if it was an early or late model loom tho mate...
not sure if this is the part you need mate
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR1000 ... 43b24797d9
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jonesey wrote:I have considered the option of removing it from the loom myself, but there is 14 wires coming from the alarm unit and hey are all BLACK.
I suppose this is to make life hard for thieves, and life even harder for owners.
Most thing mechanical I'll havea go, but electronics are not a strong point of mine.(or patience) :wink:
Even so the circuits they break into (join into) of the original wiring loom, will be colour coded,

Chris.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

I removed a broken immobiliser from a Blackbird in 40oC heat in the South of France a couple of months back. It took me a couple of hours. It would have been a type of job I would have doubted myself being able to do, but as we were stranded I was forced in to it.

If this can be done by the side of the road by an incompetent person such as myself I cant see why it is a £150 job :confused
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Actually the guys have got a good point about just removing the old Alarm. Each wire just needs to be chased back to where it goes into the loom and chopped out. It may involve stripping back some of the sheathing on the main loom as it no good just chopping where it comes out. Wires may have been linked together inside the loom which would need the link broken. It still involves removing fairings and stuff and pulling parts of the loom out to trace the wires back, but it's do-able.

The biggest pain is having to remove fairings, tank and stuff. It's just one of those time consuming things striping stuff down.

Give us a shout Chris I will give you hand mate. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Don't look that complex to me........

:wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have a spare loom if you need one, but replacement is simple enough.
Your only problem with removing an alarm is the possibility of an immobiliser circuit- most alarms have one.
If you simply chop all the connecting wires the immobiliser is removed, and so the signal from the ECU to the coils won't be triggered= no spark.

But it shouldn't be hard to trace, using a Haynes circuit diagram.
Last edited by tony.mon on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It may involve stripping back some of the sheathing on the main loom as it no good just chopping where it comes out. Wires may have been linked together inside the loom
That's what I was talking about.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Animal

Post by Animal »

I removed a Datatool 3 from my FJR, loads of black wires.
If its the same, you cant just cut them all out, there are four of the black wires that need to be joined together in pairs.
Let me know if its the same and I can give instructions.
Unless of course you have decided to replace the whole loom

Cheers
babysitter

Post by babysitter »

Any luck with your wiring Sean Davies is Honda traned ex Redline Honda allways found him helpfull.
http://seandavies-motorcycles.co.uk/
Harley Davidson Roadking 1690 / Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster
54 Honda Varadero XL1000 / Honda Firestorm Red,/ BSA B40WD Trials,
/Audi TT 225 / Foard Transit T300/ VW Touareg