TPS/Carb jetting/Cans!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
lloydie

Re: TPS/Carb jetting/Cans!!

Post by lloydie »

I've been looking for a smaller k&n filter 1/2 size .
What I've been thinking of doing is
Using the full area under the tank as the airbox a bit like the moriwaki ram air box .
But with a k&n on either side where the gaps in the tank is .
The airbox will be fed air from both sides and both carbs should get the same amount of air .
Also this will help the clearance between the stacks and filter as one won't be there .

It's just in the planning stage at the moment
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

lloydiecbr wrote:I've been looking for a smaller k&n filter 1/2 size .
What I've been thinking of doing is
Using the full area under the tank as the airbox a bit like the moriwaki ram air box .
But with a k&n on either side where the gaps in the tank is .
The airbox will be fed air from both sides and both carbs should get the same amount of air .
Also this will help the clearance between the stacks and filter as one won't be there .

It's just in the planning stage at the moment
You have 3 months to complete the work then :lol:
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I think it will be something for the winter :-)
I'm also planning to put two balance pipes on the 2-1 spare exhaust .
It works on the rsv so it might work on the storm
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

lloydiecbr wrote:I think it will be something for the winter :-)
I'm also planning to put two balance pipes on the 2-1 spare exhaust .
It works on the rsv so it might work on the storm
When did winter finish....someone could have told me !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Tomorrow it's spring :-) now you know lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Morning Lads.

Poor man's ram airbox, yes I was thinking of something like this at one stage. A bit like YETI's use the whole area under the tank as one big airbox. Basically seal the whole underside a bit like extending the plastic cowl that sits under the carbs at the front. Then a cover over the top of the frame just under the tank with the tank incorporated into the shape. So it's basically sealing the sides all around the tank area where it meets the frame. Either utilise the front vents and have some kind of tube run along the inside of the frame into the box or make (fibre glass) Mori style ram air ducts (use YETI's as template) and then open up the gap in the tank by cutting, re shaping and welding like a ram air tank. And feed them into the airbox the same as a Mori. A filter would not be required as such. Just put filters where the air enters the box at the front snorkal area and ram air ducts. Or just whack some cone shape K&N's directly on the carbs. With the standard carbs I'm not sure it's possible to run like this without fitting a fuel pump.

Something to think about anyway. :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

#48s going in today! I got off work yesterday (due to snow warnings for today, good job as A55 awful & closed).

So carbs coming off & new pilots going in & TPS to be checked.

Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

seb421 wrote:
Griff1977 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Wouldn't letting more air in mean a meaner mixture top end?

So bigger jets needed to bring back the stoichiometric ratio?
I agree Tony, and as I've got 178 & 172s in at the moment, with clip on top of the needles (leanest) I guess there is plenty of potential for riching it up.

Lee, I agree, and I'm not planning 'owt too soon - I haven't got much time at home in the near future but you know what it's like; always planning the next tweak! Need to sort the low end out first- #48 pilots might do it.

Thanks again Lee. Griff.
In the post mate to you today :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Seb. Arrived, thanks. Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
seb421

Post by seb421 »

bloody hell that took an age! i put them in the post box first class on Monday morning
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Think they arrived earlier in the week but I'm away at mo- got back yesterday. Ta again.

I've been radical today.... More to follow! Griff.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Griff1977 wrote:Think they arrived earlier in the week but I'm away at mo- got back yesterday. Ta again.

I've been radical today.... More to follow! Griff.
Right so I had an unexpected day off. Arrived back home Thurs afternoon, good job as A55 seems to be pretty busy today with weather!

So after clearing it with the misses, I gave my bike 2 hrs of my time!

I whipped the carbs off (getting better at that!!), and went into my float bowls. Whipped the pilots out as Seb had sent me some #48s. Only to find mine are actually #48s anyway. Now I am sure my dyno man said they were #45s, anyway. So, radical thinking, and I put my FP #50s in that it recommends as a start point anyway (but didn't get touched last week). Then I checked my main jets. And they were actually ordered fr172 rr175 - dyno man said he had put them in fr175 rr172!! (ive edited my bit in the thread "What set up are you running...".

So, ive put in #50 pilots, and so I thought I'd put larger main jets in as well (because my whole A/F line, although pretty linear, is generally lean) . So, im really enjoying myself now, so I put in as large as possible main jets; Factory Pro fr182 and rr185s!!! I also have a punt at the mixture and set it 1 turn out both, thinking it might be a bit rich on the #50s pilots.

Oh and when I put it back together, I installed the FP supplied replacement allen bolts - Im happier that Im actually using the kit!!!

So, as we appear to have escaped the snow (at 4pm anyway), I gave it a quick 10 min blast on the Driffield road - a few twists and good wide straights. It feels absolutely fine. That low rpm hesitation has disappeared. It isnt absolutely perfect all the way up the revs but Im pretty happy having done the adjustments myself.

So, back into the garage, feeling happy. Now, as it would only take 10 mins, I whipped the standard airfilter out and put the BMC one in! May as well. My thoughts are ive upped the main jets (a lot) so top is probably alot richer. Although I havent touched the needle's clips (on top at moment (lean)), I had upped the pilots to #50s, so richer again.

BMC in, lets have a ride. Now bearing in mind that last time I rode with the BMC in, it did not ride well at all - bucking through most of the revs. Lets go!!! And well, I am pleasantly surprised. No bucking, revs feel smoothish, some improvement needed but very very rideable and strong at high revs!!!

So there you are, although the dyno trip last weds for me seemed a disaster, at least I have learnt that it aint rocket science!! Just a matter of adjusting and trialling. Ideally I wont change more than one variable from now on!!

Next.... think I will lower the clip position of the needles - its at position 0, so I will go for #4. I want to ultimately drill the MAJs, but I will stick to the clips height change next time.

Im a happier tinkerer!!

Oh, Q: how can I adjust the mixture with engine running? Is it possible? Any best tips?

Griff
edds11

Post by edds11 »

Griff, was it CM ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:biggrin :clap: :clap: :clap:

You may find yourself going back to the 48's mixture on the 50's is roughly 1.1/4 front 1.5 rear. As for adjusting them with the bike running, you need the proper tool. A right angled ratcheting screwdriver. Even then it's a struggle.

I use one of these.

Did you re-sync the carbs/carb balance after all those changes.

I could feel your sense of achievement and enjoyment you had in your post. You do realise you will be tweaking all the time now :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Well done mate feels great doing a bit your self and noticing improvements here and there in drivabialty, I got it down to a fine are last summer whipping the carbs off and on in quick time once you done it a few times you know the knack too it

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Any chance you can send those 48#s back mate lol I can bung them in the carbs I am selling I took them from the spare set

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14