Plastic repair & prep on fairings with pics

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
agentpineapple

Re: Plastic repair & prep on fairings with pics

Post by agentpineapple »

i've just repaired 11 minor dings in just one side fairing.... :eek2
and i've still got 3 other panels to go.... :crazy:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

heres a helpful plastex hint

the chemical solvent used is the same as the ones beauticians use for fake nails.

cold plastic welding can also be done using a chopped up zip tie and dichloromethane aka decent paint stripper. ive had good results doing it that way and the soldering iron way. the only thing with the soldering iron method is that, like metal welding, if the part to be welded isnt hot enough the plastic just fills the gap and doesnt take to the parts and cracks easy.
pat

Post by pat »

Hi guys
have any of you tried plastic welding ?(not the rubbish soldering iron method)
I have had great results with using the correct gear.
before

after hot staples and welding

just needs prep for paint.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is that the ultrasonic welder?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
pat

Post by pat »

tony.mon wrote:Is that the ultrasonic welder?
No ,it's a "hot jet" welder,
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That looks good :clap:

Chris.
pat

Post by pat »

It'll look even better once it's painted ,but alas it's still too cold for painting,even with all the heaters on.lol
Arioch_Grey

Post by Arioch_Grey »

Nice job I have just repaired my fairing using plastex works a treat just file in a groove over the split tape on back to stop it running through apply powder the a few drops of the liquid and leave to set takes upto an hour depending on depth ..then on inside do the same or if it needs more strength stick some reinforcement fibre glass mat or similar to a pice of sticky tape cover in powder then liquid and apply over seam and let it set tape comes off job done ... just sand and spray..will try to get some photos up ..to show results
ptynan

Post by ptynan »

Great acticle very helpful Thank You :D
Paul Tynan (Red ones are fastest)
monga

Post by monga »

great job, nice article!!!
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

The only stuff I have had personal success with is Q-BOND, it sets in 10 seconds and has filler powder for plastic and alloy, after not finding replacement fairings, I dug out the damaged ones, they were very twisted in the damaged parts, twanged up splinters poking out etc. I ground out the twisted bits, put masking tape behind, filled with powder, put in the hardner, and its now as strong and bendy as new, and its easily fillable.
It is so strong, you can make threaded parts using a nut as a mould!
IMHO,,and as I do not post on here very often, I may not have the kudos of a mega poster, but P40 and P38 and glassfibre are car body repair materials..repair processes for plastics have moved on quite a bit since the 80's... :)
My fairings were totally wombles now they are as strong and bendy as a bendy thing, I'm impressed. :D
I'll post some pics later. Its £20 for a kit but its very easy to use and easy to finish, without heat guns etc.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Thanks rollingthunderx2- Q-BOND and plastex seem to be the same stuff just with different names. Both are readily available from fleabay.
rollingthunderx2 wrote:The only stuff I have had personal success with is Q-BOND, it sets in 10 seconds and has filler powder for plastic and alloy, after not finding replacement fairings, I dug out the damaged ones, they were very twisted in the damaged parts, twanged up splinters poking out etc. I ground out the twisted bits, put masking tape behind, filled with powder, put in the hardner, and its now as strong and bendy as new, and its easily fillable.
It is so strong, you can make threaded parts using a nut as a mould!
IMHO,,and as I do not post on here very often, I may not have the kudos of a mega poster, but P40 and P38 and glassfibre are car body repair materials..repair processes for plastics have moved on quite a bit since the 80's... :)
My fairings were totally fooked now they are as strong and bendy as a bendy thing, I'm impressed. :D
I'll post some pics later. Its £20 for a kit but its very easy to use and easy to finish, without heat guns etc.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
rollingthunderx2

Qbond/plastex is really incredible stuff, I would never have believed how strong the repair is, and if careful when aligning the broken parts, how easy it was to get a good surface, now, anyone know the colour code for a red one? ford rosso red is too dark, I have just found out.
rollingthunderx2

KarlosVTR wrote:heres a helpful plastex hint

the chemical solvent used is the same as the ones beauticians use for fake nails.

cold plastic welding can also be done using a chopped up zip tie and dichloromethane aka decent paint stripper. ive had good results doing it that way and the soldering iron way. the only thing with the soldering iron method is that, like metal welding, if the part to be welded isnt hot enough the plastic just fills the gap and doesnt take to the parts and cracks easy.
Do you know what the filler powder is? That would be handy! :D
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Look on your bike's subframe nr the battery - should be R157 -(Italian red)
rollingthunderx2 wrote:Qbond/plastex is really incredible stuff, I would never have believed how strong the repair is, and if careful when aligning the broken parts, how easy it was to get a good surface, now, anyone know the colour code for a red one? ford rosso red is too dark, I have just found out.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts