JUDGEMENT DAY

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
agentpineapple

JUDGEMENT DAY

Post by agentpineapple »

today was the last attempt at fixing my bike, over the last 5 months or so this bike has thought me and carl at every step. admittedly some of the problems were of our own making, and some of them weren't.
today we finally decided to check the timing. i've owned this engine for 3 years and in that time its been in 3 different frames. to begin with this was my first v-twin so i had nothing to compare it with. but it ran well all the way to the red line. yes it burnt a little oil but the engine was strong enough.
the engine was fitted to the spondon frame 18mths ago when my bike totally rebuilt after a big accident. again the engine felt ok revving to the redline good for 150 even with me on it.
by this time a lightened flywheel had been added along with many other trinkets. but on two occasions i had the bike dyno'd the results were worse than poor. and no matter how many times me and carl played with the carbs, we just couldn't get it to fuel properly.
over the last winter i decided to stick the engine in yet another frame, put together another bike and sell it on, as if i'm honest, i'd had enough of it.
this rebuild started well enough and other than the long cold winter holding us up, the bikes been 95% finished and ridable for the last 3months or so. but that nagging problem was still there, only this time it was worse, the bike just didn't want to rev past 6.5k
i must stress that in all this time tne bikes engine had never been apart, the only work carried out was a lightened flywheel and a new clutch being fitted.
no matter what we did the bike wouldn't rev, swapped coils, different plugs, different ignition pick up, lots more carb work, we even put the bike back to standard settings other than the race end cans, but still nothing, we were very pissed off.
so back to today. the final throw of the dice....JUDGEMENT DAY!
it was time to check the timing, we knew of bikes that couldn't rev past 6.5k being 180 degree's out on the timing for some time, but being in the past my bike had happily revved to the redline, i was reluctent to believe that it was the timing. but something about gaz's bike at the dyno day stuck in my mind, the dyno guy said gaz's bike had been set up to get around the possible timing issue. and it got me thinking, had my bike been set up the same when i bought it, remember it had never performed well on a dyno. and as we'd tried everything else.
before carl turned up, i'd already taken the fairing,tank,seat, rear cam cover off, loosened the rads and oil cooler, and taken out the rear plug.
there was problems, the gen cover has a c/f cover on it, which didn't want to come off, the plan was to swap it with the one on the spare engine, so i'd taken that off aswell.
so carl turns up this morning and its already getting hot, we set about it, then we hit our first snag, one of the bolts on the gen cover is rounded... :x
so the plan to swap the gen covers went out the window.
after much swearing we managed to get the c/f cover off. and the crappy allen key bolts followed without a problem thank god.
then we hit snag number two. theres no markings on the lightened flywheel.... :x
how can we set the timing without the markings. i was even contemplating driving down to tonys to borrow a tool to remove the flywheel, but after a phone conversation with mr mon a solution was found. so game back on, by now it was roasting hot......
carl set the timing and we then set about putting the bike back together, but in the afternoon heat it was hard work.
finally it was time to start her up, after so many false dawns, i was not confident, had we made it worse, will the problem still be there.
so here goes, pushed the button and not much of anything, the bike was turning over but not firing, it sounded dreadful. what had we done... :(
after many attempts to start it, we whipped the tank off to check the vac pipes, alls well. so we tried again, it fired but ran like a pig. after it had warmed up a bit, although it didn't want to idle by itself. it was also popping and farting more than carl.... :lol:
i decided to give it a rev, i must admit it revved cleanly to 8k, now the bike at standstill had revved to 8k+ before, but when ridden it wouldn't go past 6.5k.
so i was still sceptical. although it revved very cleanly. we were still a bit down, we decided to go for a test ride, out past canary wharf where i know i can get high up in the revs. it was still baking hot and me and carl were wilting in the heat.
so off we go. i couldn't get past 6k because of traffic until we exited the limehouse tunnel and around the roundabout with the esso petrol station. but when i did get her going....OH MY GOD!!!!
it was a rocket ship, i couldn't stop smilling, we'd done it, after all this time, the bikes timing had been out by 180 degree's....... :roll:
i couldn't believe how fast the bike was, even now some two hours later, i'm still smiling.... :D
what a relief for me and carl. now its running a little rough because of the fuelling, but once thats tinkered with and the carbs are synced/balanced i'm certain it will run spot on, it might even be even quicker... :thumbup:
as i said earlier, i'd never ridden a v-twin before owning this one. and although i'd ridden tonys briefly, i couldn't compare it to mine because tony's has been heavily breathed on. i'd also ridden carls briefly but because i'd been short shifting my bike for a while now, carls bike didn't feel much different until it got onto the mains at 6.5k, then it was quick.
3yrs and the sodding timing was out, unbelievable.
i'd like to thank carl, i can't put into words how he's helped me, even tho i've had to put up with his moaning along the way..... :lol:
thankyou carl, for all your help, your a true friend..... :thumbup:
so thats it, i'm a very happy bunny. we'll sort out the fuelling soon enough, and next saturday it will be on the dyno. i can't wait, i'll have to re-adjust to the speed thats for sure.... :thumbup:
Last edited by agentpineapple on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Re: JUDGEMENT DAY

Post by lloydie »

Fooking al man you just wait till its running good then wack it open till the limiter kicks in ! I'll hear you sh1t yourself from hear :lol:

Good work chaps well done
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Glad to hear it is finally sorted.

Good work Carl as it is easy to give up after a while.

Have fun :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Well done guys bet it's a big relief after all that time. Think u deserve a few cold beers now. Enjoy
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Gazfirestormowner wrote:Well done guys bet it's a big relief after all that time. Think u deserve a few cold beers now. Enjoy
i'm over the moon gaz, i can't have a drink tho as i'm working this evening.... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Gazfirestormowner

I'll have one on your behalf then lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have just had a beer and I feel better now. :) As for not revving past 6,5k, that is not strictly true as it would but it would stutter and struggle past and creep up slowly VERY SLOWLY, so was not like a limiter as such. Otherwise 180 degrees out would have clicked with me a lot sooner. As I have not experienced an engine 180 out, I had nothing to compare to. So as far as I was aware, once it hit 7k it would behave a like a limiter and just not pass that point at all.

I can't believe he's been riding this bike like this now for this long :roll: I'm sure when this engine was in the other frame it had no problems getting up to 3 figure speeds. It just seems very strange to me that a straight engine swap into a new frame has somehow made the issue worse. Very strange indeed. Anyway after these months of ruling out various fuelling or electrical issues that could have been the cause I think I'm relieved it's sorted.

On the bright side of things, before I started Marty could not even remove a fuel tank and did not have any of his own tools. Now he has a few tools and can do a basic stripdown :roll: down to the carbs. I even had him attempting to put carb diaphragm springs back in one day. :lol: I say attempting as the spring sprung out a few times and I took over. I can only watch for so long before I get frustrated. I'm not the best teacher but I do try and I am very trying. It has been like Laurel and Hardy at times. :lol: :lol:

Yes I can be a moany old git when things don't work and I can't figure a logical reason for it or am running out of options to try.

So when's the Spondon rebuild begin :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Gazfirestormowner

When I had the same problem I never pushed it through as soon as it lost power I backed it off.
But when it went on the dyno they kept it pinned and it eventually picked up and reved to the red line.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Gazfirestormowner wrote:When I had the same problem I never pushed it through as soon as it lost power I backed it off.
But when it went on the dyno they kept it pinned and it eventually picked up and reved to the red line.
thats the strange thing, last year it would rev cleanly and i'd be able to go 140/150. but this year it just didn't want to know, even when you managed to clear 6.5/7k it would be horrible like the fueling was terrible, bogging down then clearing before bogging down again. hence in the end short shifting and keeping the revs low. i can't understand, as the timing hasn't been touched....... :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Well done Carl, I'm sure you couldn't have done it without Marty's help...Oh hang on... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marty when you say ...'' over the last 5 months or so this bike has thought me every step.'' Are you implying that the Bike is out thinking you ?... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fireballxl5

Post by fireballxl5 »

Well done chaps :D :D :D

Does this make Carl a " SUPERSTAR and a ALL ROUND TOP BLOKE" I think so.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No it don't, it just makes me...... me. There's many others on the forum that help the needy out. Anyway Marty done his fair bit....

Of cleaning and coffee making. :lol:

darkember

Post by darkember »

Glad you finally sorted it :thumbup: Insistently when the flywheel was changed wouldn't that have been the point at which the timing could have gone off.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Timing would not have had to be touched to change a flywheel over, that's just a straight swap. So I'm guessing that the engine has had a cct failure at some stage and cams removed, valves replaced or something then MCCTS where installed. It's most likely at this point that it was set wrong. The only way it can go wrong is by turning the crank with the cams removed so the piston goes back up to TDC but on the exhaust stroke rather than the compression, and then the cams put back in, but on the wrong stroke. This was previous to when the engine was purchased.

I still can't get over that he's been riding all this time with the bike like this. 8O

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Just had a read through, as the title was interesting "judgement day", what a great story of determination, teamwork and accomplishment. Well done chaps!

The kindness of some people eh!

Wish someone would make MY tea while I'm working on my bike :biggrin
Jamie :wave: