Cam timing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Baldy

Cam timing

Post by Baldy »

Not had the bike long and it had just had a replacement front head fitted by an unknown engineer who is not familiar with storms (said he followed the haynes manual). I fitted MCCT yesterday and am 100% certain that the cams have not moved, it will still not rev past 7000 in use although it runs well upto this point, i am assuming that the timing is 180 degrees out?

So...even though the work was done on the front cylinder does retiming the back one (which is far easier) cure this problem?

PS i know this is a recurring thread but i just need to confirm moving the crank 360 degrees with rear cams staying in the correct positions will address the problem.
Gazfirestormowner

Re: Cam timing

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

I had the same problem with my bike when I got it and yes your timming is 180 degree out

I left the front cams alone and adjusted the rear cylinder as u said its easier to access .

You can check to make sure from tdc on the rear cylinder to tdc on the front should be 1 1/4 turns of the crank if it only 1/4 like mine was its 180 degree out.

You need to remove rear cams turn your crank 360 degree or 1 full turn then refit your cams in the correct alignment follow Carl's step by step guide like I did and you won't go wrong.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Here follow Tony's post here.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... es#p259219
am 100% certain that the cams have not moved
It was most likely out to begin with and you have done the CCTs' putting it back as it was. Everything looks the correct whether it's 180 out or not. You may want to rule out other possibilities like pulse generator or carbs which can give similar symptoms.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Baldy

Post by Baldy »

what a good do...

followed the guidance of you good folk on here and re-timed it...must have been like this when i got it, funny how you always think its something you have done yourself

anyhow-

runs like a dream right to the red line, now i know why you rave about these bikes :D

cheers for the help and advice
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's good news, all sorted now then. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside