Rear Suspension seized - how to lift bike?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mav617

Rear Suspension seized - how to lift bike?

Post by Mav617 »

Well my rear shock/linkage seems seized. Preload is on second setting from Max, and the rear end won't move at all when I bounce on the bike. Only bought it last week, so no history but it looks very neglected down where the linkage is.

So, having no joists in the garage that I can ratchet strap the back end to, what's the best way to get the bike off the deck so I can strip/refurbish the back end? Will one of those Abba stand things allow me to remove the shock/linkage and can I also us it to lift the front afterwards so I can remove the forks?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Ckennedy

Re: Rear Suspension seized - how to lift bike?

Post by Ckennedy »

You can either strip off all the fairings and lay it down on its side on a duvet or make a stool to put under the sump. Or if you have an exposed beam use a ratchet strap to lift the butt end up :thumbup:

Where there's a will there's a way :lol:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks CK, no way to ratchet it, but I've removed all the bodywork so I guess lying it down wouldn't be an issue. If I get a couple of burly mates to lift it I could sit it on a stand/jack - will putting a block under the crankcase not cause any damage. I may buy an Abba stand to be honest. I only gave £700 for the bike so think the budget can stand it.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Here's some links to help you. Abba stand is perfect as it can be adapted easily to mount off the engine mount rather than the swingarm.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 63#p173860

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29813

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... t=linkages

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you haven't read this thread then now's a good time: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

DIY rear hoist or use stepladders/ roof joist etc

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks Carl and Wicky, I may see how much my local bike shop will charge to do the work, as £100 for an Abba stand would go some way to off-setting the cost of it being done properly.
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

I've not looked closely, but would a couple of axle stands - one under each side of the motor - be enough to make a tripod with the front wheel?

Or just one under the right side if you use front wheel and side stand as the other two "legs"? Had the rear end off my SV several times that way, though obviously there's a whole different frame configuration going on there..

Actually, just popped into the garage for a look - I reckon I'd give it a go... :shifty:

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep that would work. You can pretty much balance the bike on a couple of bricks under the sump with both wheels of the ground. Just make sure to loosen off any tight bolts like the swingarm first of all.

(:-})
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not sure it would be steady enough as if you have some corroded & seized suspension bolts then you'd need to give it some umphh torquewise with extender bars etc which could possibly topple the bike over :eek2

For getting the front end up I recommend one of these headstock stands

Wonky Donkey wrote:I've not looked closely, but would a couple of axle stands - one under each side of the motor - be enough to make a tripod with the front wheel?

Or just one under the right side if you use front wheel and side stand as the other two "legs"? Had the rear end off my SV several times that way, though obviously there's a whole different frame configuration going on there..

Actually, just popped into the garage for a look - I reckon I'd give it a go... :shifty:

MICK..
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanls all, Abba stand and fittings ordered. Something to do on the cold winter nights....
adyf

Post by adyf »

Hi mate I'm a carpenter/builder whatever the roof construction you can fix two eyelet bolts bigger is better spa ce em about 4feet apart then use ratchet straps very safe and stable also useful for later,front end etc,screwfix or wickes etc.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Cheers Ady, good thinking.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Lean the bike onto its sidestand and lift it up a bit more, then put a piece of wood under the frame rail under the rear of the tank to prop it up, or use an axle stand under the footrest mount.,
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And here's a link for info on Abba Stand Front Lift Arm......
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 39&t=37170

Posted to tie the two threads together for searchability reasons

(:~})
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i have rollers and seals.... i brought a few (too many) extras. I can do at cost plus P & P

if needed