Rear Suspension Problem (I Think)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thunderbolt

Rear Suspension Problem (I Think)

Post by thunderbolt »

Newish member here. I have a creaking sound coming from the rear suspension. Well I think that's where it is coming from.

I have just been reading the thread on "Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing" and viewing the frightful pictures attached. I thought this was the problem that I had until I got my son to bounce up and down on the rear sub-frame after I had removed the seat. Then when lying down beside the bike to get a good view of the lower linkage bolts I realised the creaking was coming from much higher on the bike.

The bike involved above.

Above: The area from where the creaking appears to be coming from. It happens when pushing down on the rear of the bike and again when the suspension raises the bike to its normal height.
It seems to be coming from around the top of the rear shock (which I believe is a Sacchs unit with hydraulic adjustment knob), the creaking also appears to come from around the rear of the fuel tank and just below that point.

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Don
Last edited by thunderbolt on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000
Ckennedy

Re: Rear Suspension Problem (I Think)

Post by Ckennedy »

Try checking the suspension linkages. They have a tendency to creek when they start to seize. It shouldn't creek any higher as there is nothing higher to creek

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

The creaking is definitely around where the rear of the tank bolts to the frame, but an inch or so lower than that. Definitely not as low as the linkages lower down. That was my first thought as well.

How is the top of the shock held in place? Is it metal sleeve inside a rubber bush or a needle bearing or some such think?

Thanks
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If it were me I'd check out the top shock mounting point, where the bolt goes through the shock eyelet. I'm not sure on the Sach's shocks, but some of them have either rubber mounts or needle bearings there. Also make sure the top shock mounting bolt that goes through the box section of the frame is done up tight.

If that doesn't show up anything, are you sure that shock is the right one for the VTR? If not may be it's touching somewhere when you move the suspension up and down.

As a point of general servicing, if the shock linkages and swingarm bearings have not been serviced for a long time, or if you don't know if they ever have, I would suggest you pull them apart and give them some new grease. While you're there you can check the condition of the bearings as well.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I agree best to whip the shock off and investigate things further This is an easy job if you have an abba stand.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... hilit=abba

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... hilit=abba

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Max

Post by Max »

mine was creaking, it sounded like it was the seat but the link bearing above the exhaust pipe was dry. checked them all, was an easy job.
Max

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pull it apart and have a look. It's the only way to be sure.
But to try to work out top or bottom, spray some wd40 at the top eyelt and see if the noise goes away.
it probably won't, but even if it does, pull the lower linkages off to check, as it can be serious if they are seized.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macdee

Post by macdee »

yep take it all apart for a good going over
i will send you a hammer as you don't seem to have one
told you not to but oh no you knew better
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Thanks for the replies.

Can I have a quick rundown on the procedure to pull the lower link apart and remove the shock as well please?

Does the exhaust have to come off? Does the back wheel have to come off? Does the swing arm have to come off?

I don't have an Abba stand, just a rear paddock stand. Do I just need to get the weight off the bike (using a rope & tackle to rafters) to do the job?

All hints and advice to make the job as easy as possible appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I do have a motorcycle lift that could go under the sump to lift the motorcycle if required. Used it to do the clutch on the Guzzi.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Exhaust does not need to come off. Best if you take the swingarm off with the linkages as it makes life easy to check things over and remove the shock, but not absolutely necessary. The same with the rear wheel. Basically you need to get the weight of the rear wheel/suspension so block and tackle will be OK, Paddock stand wont be OK as it still compresses the suspension. Make sure you loosen (un-torque) nuts and bolts first before hanging the bike or it will swing around. You may want to steady it with something under the sump. :thumbup:

thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

macdee wrote:yep take it all apart for a good going over
i will send you a hammer as you don't seem to have one
I actually have a hammer, but I could do with a pair of pliers and a hacksaw if you have one.

Thanx
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Thanks for the contributions everyone. I feel I can go ahead with it now. Thanks Chris and Carl for your valuable tips. Carl I have looked at some of your pics online and found them helpful.

BTW, What is the pump like object at the rear of the petrol tank? Is that a vacuum fuel pump or does it serve another purpose?

Thanks
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

thunderbolt wrote:Thanks for the contributions everyone. I feel I can go ahead with it now. Thanks Chris and Carl for your valuable tips. Carl I have looked at some of your pics online and found them helpful.

BTW, What is the pump like object at the rear of the petrol tank? Is that a vacuum fuel pump or does it serve another purpose?

Thanks
As you have an F2 version, your asking about the bit attached to the frame below the rear of the tank...

It's the petcock. You'll have one fixture on the base of the tank with one pipe going in to the petcock, which has two fat pipes & one thinner pipe coming out. The fat pipes are the fuel hoses connected to the carbs, the thin pipe is the Vacuum hose.

It's not a pump just a petcock with a vacuum diaphragm, fuel only flows when engine is running.

How ever do not just take off the single fat pipe from the tank unless you want to mop up the contents of your tank from the floor !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Thanks Mac, How does one remove the fuel tank without making a mess?
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Disconnect the fuel lines and vacuum from the petcock and remove the petcock with the tank along with the single line that connect to the tank. It's bolted to the frame via a bracket. You wont loose any fuel apart from a couple of drips unless you have a faulty diaphragm inside the petcock :thumbup: