exact quantity of oil/level window

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Theodio

exact quantity of oil/level window

Post by Theodio »

As I was pretty sure that my window was faulty, even though I was putting 3.9 liters per oil+filter change and I wasn't able to see the oil level through the window.

Then I've red in the forum that she needs 0.5~1 lt more oil to pass the minimum oil level at the window!!!! :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2

So How much oil do i have to put into my engine (oil change due soon) to "see" my oil level at the oil level window?????
Wicky

Re: exact quantity of oil/level window

Post by Wicky »

Look in the downloadable & searchable Honda VTR service manual PDF in the workshop knowledgebase section

Pg 9 General Information 1-6

Lubrication System - Engine Oil Capacity

Good luck in putting an extra litre on top of 3.9L :eek2 If you can't see through the window then you've probably overfilled it…

First ensure your bike is standing level and not leaning over.
Last edited by Wicky on Tue May 06, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Ive red the manual as I said: 3.9 with filter change

But read this please, they say that it need more to see the oil at the level window.

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33393
unquote
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you read the manual - you will need at most between 3.9L and 4L depending on filter changes, size of filter (there is a large and small size oil filter that needs pre-oiling as well) etc. The exact correct amount depends on where the level appears in the glass. If you cannot see the level in the window due to it being empty it hasn't enough oil, if it is all dark and oily then it is overfilled. You want a happy middle :)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

simo

Post by simo »

Don't forget, the bike needs to be upright. A block under the side stand or have someone hold the bike to get a accurate reading.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Don't do what I did, sit on the bike and using my phone as a mirror check he level, only to get off he bike to top up more but forget to put the stand back down!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

If you are careful and well balanced grab the throttle grip and the rear foot peg kneel down on one knee and pull the bike towards you till vertical lean down and read the level. You need to be quite supple and lean for this. So all you really tall and extra poundage guys no chance. :lol: :lol:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

And it will be very hard to get exactally right as getting the bike perfectly level all round is very hard. As long as its near enough and in the sight glass you'll be OK. Does not matter if you over fill slightly. After a oil and filter change always use the full 4l can and the be prepared to buy another 1l for top ups after a good ride.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

I have just changed my oil and as stated it takes the full 4lts, after a run i checked a few minutes after switching off and it was nearly at the top level with me leaning down with the bike level, i can just about lean down that far :)
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Sorry guys, just to fully understand..

I install new filter, after draining the old oil, i put 4 Lt of new oil. Take it for a ride, let it sit and top up till I see the level at the window???

I'm just saying that when I change oil I fill 3.9 Lts according the Honda manual and the level (even bike) does not appear to the window glass!!!! (again, straight motorcycle). I guessing whether I have a faulty glass or just having to insert more oil!!!

Sucks big time :mrgreen:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

with filter change after a run mine always takes just over the four ltrs to bring it up to the max level..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ignore what it says in the manual.

Procedure is as follows:
1 Remove sump plug and drain oil. If you also remove the oil filler cap this will aid it in draining out faster.

2 Unscrew and remove oil filter. You will either need an oil filter wrench or big grips to do this. If you have neither or it's on exceptionally tight then you can use an old screwdriver and a hammer and knock the screwdriver through the old filter and lever it off.

3 Either use a new copper washer for the sump plug or heat it up until it starts to glow to re-anneal it and then replace the sump plug. Do not overtighten this.

4 Remove any plastic packaging off the base of the oil filter and smear a ring of oil around the rubber seal and screw it on hand tight as much as you can.

5 Fill up with the bike upright to the max level in the oil level window. Be careful not to overfill. You can do this without sitting on the bike. Just get a friend to hold the bike exactly upright. Use the top of the tank as a guide to get the angle so it's not leaning slightly to the left or right. If you cant see the oil level then get your friend to tip the bike slightly towards the right and you will soon see the oil getting close to the window.

6 Once level put the filler cap back on and wipe any spilt oil off the casings, you can then start the bike up and let it run for a few minutes, then switch off and allow the oil drain back down to the sump.

7 The oil level will have dropped slightly as it had now filled the oil filter up so top back up to the upper level as necessary.

It will take roughly 4.2 litres of oil to fill up.

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

'Scuse me, but how 'kin difficult is it to fill a bike with oil ?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Theodio

Post by Theodio »

It is very difficult indeed if there is a possibility that you've got a faulty window which does not indicate the oil level at all and you've already filled 3.9 lts according the manual and u dont want to overfill the engine!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

How faulty? Have you tried topping it up till oil appears in the window.

You can take the clutch cover off and clean the glass window from the inside if it has got water/oil emulsion covering it.