Timing jump?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jswisc

Timing jump?

Post by jswisc »

I have an 05 VTR with 23k mi. Cruising at 70mph and power cut off for 2-3 seconds then came back on. Ran fine for a minute. The it died completely. While rolling to a stop I tried bump starting, nothing. No spark. Faulty cdi box. Replaced. Now starts right up but does not fire rear cylinder. Spark bright blue, compression 150psi. Haven't checked gas yet but I don't smell any after it runs for a couple of minutes on front cylinder. I was about to replace the cct's. Is it possible that when I tried to bump start with a slack timing chain it jumped a couple of teeth? If so would that prevent the rear from firing at all?
jswisc

Re: Timing jump?

Post by jswisc »

Nevermind. Vacuum hose on the wrong stem of the petcock.
darkember

Post by darkember »

jswisc wrote:Nevermind. Vacuum hose on the wrong stem of the petcock.
Not possible on the 05 model the petcock is different and there is only one vacuum point. One of the hoses could have disconnected off one of the cylinders. If the timing had jumped 2 teeth you would know about it as the piston and valves would be meeting for a messy lunch. Before trying to start it again check all your timing marks for both pots just to rule out the possibility.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Why do you think you have a slack timing chain?

You can test for a failed cct in two ways:
1. remove the end cap bolt in the cct.
Insert a small flat blade screwdriver, and feel turning it one way to see if it tightens or loosens- don't turn more than half a turn and you can't cause damage. The spring should snap it back to its rest position.
if you check both and one slackly just sits there when turned- it's failed.
2. lift off the cam covers, and measure the valve clearances- if it has failed and bent valves, the clearances will be over 1mm.

Or check compression to be sure.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Why do you think you have a slack timing chain?
My first thoughts too.

If you was cruising at 70mph and you had a cam chain jump teeth you would soon know something serious was wrong.

Going by the description it does sound electrical, it may even be fuelling as you can't smell any. You should smell it flooding if it don't start!! Why jump straight to the ECU. Check for spark on both plugs, no or weak spark then check caps/leads then coils etc. Start with the basics and work your way through to diagnose what's wrong. I would also be checking the R/R and Starter cable too as these are common failures.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside