Chain and sprockets ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtwinthunder

Chain and sprockets ?

Post by vtwinthunder »

Hi guys , im after some information on chain and sprockets for my 98 vtr1000 , i have debaffled standard cans , and the flywheel mod on my steed , the chain and sprockets need renewing , so what are peoples recommendations , do i stick with standard 16 41 or should i try a different set up , and if i do decide to change the ratio , where is the best place in the uk where you can pick and choose your kit online ?
Also what have other people done and how has it affected your bike , thanks .
tony.mon

Re: Chain and sprockets ?

Post by tony.mon »

I think you can disregard the lightened flywheel and debaffled cans as they have no bearing whatsoever on the sprockets and chain, ratios, etc.
Neither does colour, inside leg or hat size.

Your choice is to buy as a set, standard is 41/16 102 links I think., or buy the three components separately.
Lastly you can choose to buy a complete chain or one with a soft link that requires riveting.
Riveting is easy with a hammer, as long as you measure adjacent plates and don't over rivet it, causing a tight spot- if so grind the soft link off and try another one, rather than fit and see if it loosens up, which it won't.

You can also buy a riveting tool, which is usually a press, with a number of uses before it's knackered- very expensive ones last a lot longer, cheap ones last up to four or five chains- probably the life of the bike.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

standard is 41/16 102 links I think
You think right. :thumbup:

Some go -1 on the front or +1 or 2 on the rear or even -1 front +1 rear, the choice is yours. Lots on info on the following site.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

As for where to purchase lots of places will offer the option of different from standard sprockets. Beware that renthal (ally) sprockets on these torque monsters wear quite fast. Supersprox sprockets cost a little more but you get the best of both worlds with an ally centre piece and steel ring/teeth.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

BandC express, best place to buy from, you get what you ask for unlike some other places. they do Renthal sprockets too.

Stick to standard gearing, or no more than +1 on the rear which should work with the standard chain length. don't bother with -1 on the front the bike is not better for it, it doesn't respond well, use the torque it's what they're good for, extra revs just uses more fuel and puts your speedo out ;)
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Its a personal thing, i have 16 front as standard, but 43 rear, i don't do 150mph but like the little bit of extra drive with my set up. Buy a good chain and sprocket set though. Lube and adjust on a regimented fashion . Clean and lube after a ride, while its warm.The lube soaks in better and wont just fling off. Scottoilers are good but i like to inspect and check my chain and i think with them you fill up the oil and forget.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!