Carb refitting advice

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
anonomoose

Carb refitting advice

Post by anonomoose »

Anyone had trouble refitting the carbs after removal? They don't seem to line up at all when I'm offering them up. a good few mm out. Don't want to be to forceful with it but cant seem to get it to go. Any thoughts?
AMCQ46

Re: Carb refitting advice

Post by AMCQ46 »

get the rubbers warm with a hairdryer or low setting heatgun and put WD40 all over them................ then push hard.

over to Lloydie for the sexual innuendos :lol:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I use WD40 for that job too,

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I use lube (grease) smear a little on the rubbers then line up the front carb and push forward and down to locate the rear .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Note the carbs mount at a slight diagonal angle. Don't forget to re-attach the coolant hoses to the carbs first, then make sure both top clips on the mounting rubbers are loose. Smear a little grease around the inside lip of the rubbers if it help but normally totally necessary and push the front carb in slightly before the rear.

The way to push them on is a bit like if you was doing CPR...I have a hand on top of each carb and use my whole bodyweight over them. Get the front in and then the rear, but don't push the front all the way in yet. It's the rear that can prove tricky on the inside. You may have to use both hands over that carb (CPR style one on top of the other) and you do need to use some force. A little wiggle from side to side may help while pushing too Simples!!!!! :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

It may just be a 'Merican thing but I just use a little spit on the boots and the carbs slip right in......... 8O :lol: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Been there...a bit of spit and polish on my boots. Only problem is saliva can leave Whitish marks so not as much shine. Then one gets told off by the drill instructor. :lol:

I see a smear of grease as an extra layer to help seal the boots from any leaks and also with being a lube helps keep the rubber supple. Apart from helping with keeping the rubber from cracking/crazing it also helps with getting the carbs back in as the rubber stays softish instead of hardening up over time.

thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

cybercarl wrote:Been there...a bit of spit and polish on my boots. Only problem is saliva can leave Whitish marks so not as much shine. Then one gets told off by the drill instructor. :lol:

I see a smear of grease as an extra layer to help seal the boots from any leaks and also with being a lube helps keep the rubber supple. Apart from helping with keeping the rubber from cracking/crazing it also helps with getting the carbs back in as the rubber stays softish instead of hardening up over time.

Carl what type of grease do you use?

Thanks
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Slippery grease :lol:

Any grease will do really, you only need a smear. I used a teflon based Lithium grease last time.

thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

cybercarl wrote:Slippery grease :lol:

Any grease will do really, you only need a smear. I used a teflon based Lithium grease last time.

Thanks, just curious if I needed to use rubber grease or not. I only have axle bearing grease apart from the rubber grease.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Rubber grease is better.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.