Exhausts and refuelling/jetting

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
AndyEames

Post by AndyEames »

Hi guys, just a quick question. Iv seen a nice pair of fuel cans for a very reasonable price so i read the description and it says " no need for refuelling or rejetting" is this true? If so how?

My only take on it was there the same as the standard cans with the baffle in? Can you buy aftermarket exhausts and not have to alter the fuelling or jetting? Answers on a postcard please!

Andy.
VTRDark

Re: Exhausts and refuelling/jetting

Post by VTRDark »

wombles me if there is no need for refuelling then we should all have them :lol:

Don't get sucked into sales/marketing blurb :roll: And yes some cans you may get away without re-jetting. If your lucky :wink:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cans by their self don't make too much impact on fuelling compared to changes on the inlet side, so although it will have an effect it should be OK to ride the bike to evaluate if there is any performance of fuel consumption issues. based on that you can then work out if you need to get it rejetted.

there is a good chance that it will run better and use a bit less fuel, but each exhaust will have a different need.
AMcQ
AndyEames

Post by AndyEames »

I wasnt getted sucked into it i just wondered how they could claim it didnt need any alteration when most others do. Unfortunately im not so ofay with rejetting etc as i have never had do mess about. I just want a hassle free way of getting the old gal to rumble without too much mucking about!

Is it the performance of an aftermarket can that determines if you need to rejet?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

drilling the baffles out of the standard cans will release the noise and should still work on original jetting. search on here for "bafflectomy" or similar
AMcQ
AndyEames

Post by AndyEames »

Ok. So iv read the forum on bafflectomy and seems to be the way to go. It seems alot of people can run without the need for adjustment so that suits me down to the ground! Also it will only cost me a couple hours in the garage and a cup of tea/beer! Thanks for the input!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

In case you haven't seen it Mac's got some great posts on how to do a bafflectomy.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 15#p323801

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by a full bafflectomy and you shouldn't have any MOT issues. As for fulling, As long as you still have a standard air filter, this is you best chance of keeping carbs as they are without any tinkering. At worst you may need a 1/4 - 1/2 turn one way or the other on fuel mixture (AF) screws, no biggie and nothing to worry about.

As for aftermarket race cans, a lot of manufactures will say there is no re-jetting involved which is not always true. I have found the only ones that do ring true are the more expensive better quality brands, for example Scorpian. Brands that have spent a lot of money on research and design and come up with a can specifically made for the bike. I can't say for sure on the fuel cans as I have never tried or even heard them.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

They sound great when debaffeled just a shame they still weigh a ton
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:I have found the only ones that do ring true are the more expensive better quality brands, for example Scorpion. Brands that have spent a lot of money on research and design and come up with a can specifically made for the bike.

Precisely.
The cheaper cans are more than likely not had the R&D put into them for each individual bike.

Chris.
AndyEames

Post by AndyEames »

Ok guys well my exhausts are off! Im gonna just drill a few holes to start and take it from there i think. If its a bit too tame then ill take the whole lot out! Ill keep you posted on my progress.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Cool :thumbup: We like pics.....gets some pics of your good work up on here. It's a good habit to take pics of progress too, not only are they good if you have any issues, but they come in useful as a visual reference for other members thinking of taking the same route.

AndyEames

Post by AndyEames »

Ok so i ended up doing a partial bafflectomy and drilled 4x 10mm holes in each exhaust and it sounds great! Happy with the results! Its not too loud or too quiet so pleased with it! I will get some pics up but im struggling to work out putting pics up using iphone! But i promise ill get some!
Cheers.
Andy