ELECTRICS FAILURE

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gwaynewk

ELECTRICS FAILURE

Post by gwaynewk »

Having heard that the VTR can suffer a rectifier failure, my mate has a 94 Fireblade that suffered from the rectifier packing up, got a new one and got the bike started and now the speedo, rev counter and temperature gauge don't work, anyone got any ideas please.

Paul
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!
lloydie

Re: ELECTRICS FAILURE

Post by lloydie »

Burnt earth be my guess
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Earth is a good place to start as it's linked into everything else so if there an issue it feeds back to other things like the speedo and/or instruments. Check the new R/R with a multimeter to make sure it's not overcharging.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
10robbo

Post by 10robbo »

tacho /temp/speedo all linked with the same ground=earth. it also serves the dash lights, if they are off too I think it virtually proves where the fault lies
gwaynewk

Post by gwaynewk »

Okay thanks, we will have a good go at it tomorrow :beer:
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

check all FUSES .. could be simples :thumbup:
jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

I having kind of the same issue.. But my power comes back for some reason and it starts no problem. I tried starting it again and acted like if the battery was dead at first but on the second try it started right away.. Battery measured 12.78volts. I have no idead where to start..

Also my rectifier doesnt look stock. I wonder if PO changed it.. Image
02 VTR1000f Red
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Stock Later model R/R but non MOSFET. Some links for you all.

:arrow: yet another reg/rec question

:arrow: Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gwaynewk wrote:Having heard that the VTR can suffer a rectifier failure, my mate has a 94 Fireblade that suffered from the rectifier packing up, got a new one and got the bike started and now the speedo, rev counter and temperature gauge don't work, anyone got any ideas please.

Paul
When the bike is running I would suggest checking the charging rate with a multi-meter at the battery terminals. If he/she is still using the same battery it could have been damaged when the rectifier packed up, so will need replacing,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jonjonsocal wrote:I having kind of the same issue.. But my power comes back for some reason and it starts no problem. I tried starting it again and acted like if the battery was dead at first but on the second try it started right away.. Battery measured 12.78volts. I have no idead where to start..

Also my rectifier doesnt look stock. I wonder if PO changed it.. Image
If you haven't already, I would start by checking the connection on the starter motor, also check and make sure all the connections on the battery, solenoid and engine earth (battery negative (-) lead) are clean and tight,

Chris.
gwaynewk

Post by gwaynewk »

okay checked through connections and fuses and studied the wiring diagram, it is now only the speedo and rev counter that doesn't work, I have power coming to both units, have good earths but still no go, as they are only linked by the earth, which I know is good, so how likely is it that the power surge from the the rectifier fault stopped them both from working? Does anyone know how to test either unit?

Thanks Paul :thumbup:
jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

I had a bad battery. But replaced the r/r today just in case.. What do you guys think about the PAIR system?? My muffler started popping out of no where... Should i disconnect it? Thanks
02 VTR1000f Red
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

so how likely is it that the power surge from the the rectifier fault stopped them both from working? Does anyone know how to test either unit?
It's possible but I would expect damage elsewhere if that was the case, like with the ECU's for example. Was it an overcharging issue with your R/R then? It could just be coincidental, so before going any further check the earth connections on the back of the instrument panel itself as these can get a bit rusty being open to the elements. It does require removal of the fairing to get to them. All electric tests for the instruments will be in the workshop manual.
What do you guys think about the PAIR system?
We only get it on the later models. Yours I believe is a little more in depth than just PAIR being the Californian model with even stricter emission controls. Personally I would remove the whole lot, screw emissions. Tell them them that when they drop bomb's and pollute the planet with other substances. It's bullshit....the planet will naturally go through changes as we progress through time and space and if we get wiped out, The removal of the PAIR system on our bikes will not prevent this.

jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

sorry for the hijack, gwaynewk. I hope you dont mind...

My pair was gone, PO removed it. So I took out the air box and cleaned the carbs and jet as much as i could without removing the carbs. Ill finish putting it together in a couple days.. So Ill know them.. I also noticed that one of the T connectors was missing a plug... (right side, front carb, I found it in the floor a few weeks ago and saved it.. lol

JON

02 VTR1000f Red
jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

The missing plug was the problem! Now it runs and idles smooth. Got all of my ponies back too! So for those having the same idling and starting problems DONT forget to check your plugs and check for vacuum leaks. Just that little plug made my bike start hugly, idle rough, exaust pop and made me really really stressed.. Lol feel a lot better now. Kids dont have to hide when I come from the garage anymore.... Thanks for all the help.. Specially Mike (8421hawk)
02 VTR1000f Red