First problem.......

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
JonaStorm

First problem.......

Post by JonaStorm »

Went to start the bike today and just a buzzing from the starter solenoid. Noticed the battery had been leaking slightly so jumped the bike off another bike battery and it started very easily.
Put a multimeter on the battery and noticed it's charging at 18 volt at idle!!!!
As I rode it 130 miles home after picking up it's obviously buggered the battery and obviously the reg/rec is stuffed, which is the original old type i.e non-finned.
My question after this long ramble is, is it likely to have done other damage as the tachometer was intermittent when it did start?
Not a great start to life with my new toy :(
Thanks
Ckennedy

Re: First problem.......

Post by Ckennedy »

It shouldn't have done damage to anything else a 12v system will only use 12v. If you swap the battery and reg/rec you should find it all goes back to normal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Put a new R/R on and a new battery and test it all with a multimeter juts to verify everything is allright. There is a slight chance that a voltage spike has damaged the ECU or something, you wont know untill you fix the fault and start the bike. Fingers crossed. The tach playing up is a sign of the R/R being faulty, nothing unusual there.

Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
JonaStorm

Post by JonaStorm »

Well I now have a new Yuasa battery and later Reg/Rec to fit tonight so wish me luck.
No wonder the charging was all over the place, when I took the original Reg/Rec off there was a 10 mm split in it with some molten solder poking out of the slit!!
Please keep your fingers crossed that it has not damaged anything else.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Please verify that the charging system is working as it should once you have these fitted. Yuasa batteries are the best and not cheap. It would be a shame if the new R/R was overcharging (it happens from time to time) and kills the new battery.

Fingers crossed.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
JonaStorm

Post by JonaStorm »

I'm pleased to report that the new battery and RR are fine, charging at idle is stable at about 13.6 volts so all good thanks.