single throttle cable mod ??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
budd

single throttle cable mod ??

Post by budd »

I've read somewhere that it's possible to remove the return throttle cable and have just the one supposed to give a lighter snappier throttle response well I took the clip-ons off today to have better look re fitting flat bars, so I'm thinking while it's in bits I explore this cable removal malarkey, now this may be dumb question but is it just a matter of removing the said cable or is there more to it?
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
MacV2

Re: single throttle cable mod ??

Post by MacV2 »

Just whip it off, job done...

Although some plug the hole left in the throttle housing on the bar...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
budd

Post by budd »

MacV2 wrote:Just whip it off, job done...

Although some plug the hole left in the throttle housing on the bar...
Simple as that, good I like simple and yes I think a grub screw would be wise in the soon to empty hole on the housing stop dirt entering, I'll have a go tomorrow, :thumbup:
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And oil/grease the spring on the side of the carbs, which will then be your only means of closing the carbs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

when you say simple...

Tank off, air box off, take the top of the throttle housing off. Loosen off the adjusters at the carb end, remove cable at that end, back up the top remove that end. Feed the cable out...throw it at the bin. Lube & adjust remaining cable if ness whilst its all open. Put it back together.

Should be simple but I bet a cyber £ that at least one screw/bolt shears/snaps/rounds off... :lol: :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Would that be a Scottish cyber £ :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

does give a much better throttle actuation. but as stated previously, make sure everything on your setup works properly as you will no longer be able shut the throttle closed. althought you shouldnt have any problems because for 90 years, bikes only used one cable ( my 89 gixxer 750 only uses a pull cable) it wasnt until everybody got so into lawsuits that layers made them put a push cable cable on there. its a pretty heavy duty spring on the carb and has no problem snapping the throttle shut. even if its not freshly lubed
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm guessing none of you guys have ever had a throttle stick open, it's not a nice experience. Personally I'd go with a quick-action throttle instead,

Chris.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

tony.mon wrote:And oil/grease the spring on the side of the carbs, which will then be your only means of closing the carbs.
or leave it sticky so you can get a cheap cruise control.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

'm guessing none of you guys have ever had a throttle stick open
Mid corner :eek2 :eek2 :lol: One can hit the kill switch but that's not as instinctive as closing the throttle and there will be millisecs as brain/hand decides to move from a to b and hit the kill switch.
I'd go with a quick-action throttle instead,
QAT makes no difference to the opening and closing as it works on the same principle.

==============================Enter the Darkside
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

sirch345 wrote:I'm guessing none of you guys have ever had a throttle stick open, it's not a nice experience. Personally I'd go with a quick-action throttle instead,

Chris.
I do both. Quick turn and single cable.

Ive had a throttle catch wide a couple of times on trail bikes. Clutch solves it. Gives you the time to hit the kill switch.
budd

Post by budd »

NZSpokes wrote:
sirch345 wrote:I'm guessing none of you guys have ever had a throttle stick open, it's not a nice experience. Personally I'd go with a quick-action throttle instead,

Chris.
HRC throttle tube fitted, return cable deleted, everything lubed and feels nice, smooth opening and snaps shut just as it should. :thumbup:

everything went well no dramas no snapped fasteners, or lost parts and nothing left over (well apart from the return cable :D ) as Mac said nice simple job, now I just need to take it for a spin :biggrin
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

budd wrote:
NZSpokes wrote:

Chris.
HRC throttle tube fitted, return cable deleted, everything lubed and feels nice, smooth opening and snaps shut just as it should. :thumbup:

everything went well no dramas no snapped fasteners, or lost parts and nothing left over (well apart from the return cable :D ) as Mac said nice simple job, now I just need to take it for a spin :biggrin
Damm...Here's that Cyber £ I owe you then... :x
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
'm guessing none of you guys have ever had a throttle stick open
Mid corner :eek2 :eek2 :lol: One can hit the kill switch but that's not as instinctive as closing the throttle and there will be millisecs as brain/hand decides to move from a to b and hit the kill switch.
I'd go with a quick-action throttle instead,
QAT makes no difference to the opening and closing as it works on the same principle.

You've got the wrong end of the stick Carl :lol: I wasn't suggesting a quick action throttle would give you the same result as removing the return throttle cable. What I was meaning, if you are intending to do a modification to the throttle, I personally would go for the quick action throttle out of the two, and retain the return throttle cable.

The chances of a throttle sticking open are I would say rare, but in my experience if they are going to stick it happens at full chat, or very close to it. In a situation like that where you could need to shut the throttle off immediately, you do that with instinct, you may not have time to think about an alternative reaction.

As I have said in all my posts in this thread, that's only my personal opinion gained from my own experiences. You must do what you feel happy with regarding throttle modifications,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Lust, but don't dribble, unworthy ones.
Cheaper than you think, and used by MotoGP, WSB and BSB teams.
There must be something going for them.....

http://www.mrsltd.co.uk/DominoThrottleRange.htm
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.