Blind Spot Mirror

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
markbo

Blind Spot Mirror

Post by markbo »

having been out and about on the bike in the recent sunshine i wanted to improve my rear view (don't we all) so in an attempt to do so i've mucked about with the mirrors.
i thought about getting those little stick on ones (and i might still do that) but they look a bit too small to me so i got a couple of yamaha mirrors off ebay and a frog eye mirror and i've screwed a bracket on to fit the two together and here's the result.
i've stuck some tape on the bracket for the time being but i'll paint it black when i get a minute
i can't think of any other way of putting the frog eye mirror on

picture taken from rider position so you can see the improvement.

only problem is i can't decide how stupid it looks - i know it does look stupid but what do you think ... is it too 60's scooter??

would anyone else be seen riding a bike looking like this?
does it matter if it saves my life?
why don't they just give us better mirrors in the first place so we can see what's in the blind spot - is that too much to ask?

Watty

Re: Blind Spot Mirror

Post by Watty »

London bus springs to mind mate :lol: .Sorry, erm...................no I wouldnt ride it! Get some bsa bloke mirror extenders :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
markbo

Post by markbo »

at least i've given you a laugh :lol:

i think it'll come off in the morning!!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Every bike I have had, including the VTR has a blind spot mirror on the right side.

I always tend to go for the 2 inch diameter ones (available at Halfords) http://tinyurl.com/phx6y54

The price at Halfords is ridiculous for the mirror (£7.99), but you can get other 2 inch mirrors elsewhere for less than half that!

They really are lifesavers - especially with the crap VTR mirrors where all you see is yer elbows.

As I don't do much motorway work or Duals these-days, I have no immediate need for a blindspot on my left mirror. But, if doing the Isle of Man, or heading down south, I'll whack one on (oo-er missus).

As for your "frog eye"? Apart from being bigger than the mirror, I personally think anything used to show up the vehicle when it passes on your right, and then, for a split second, into the "invisible zone", the better.

But, yup - it's just a tad too big in proportion to the bike mirror. (I'd have it inverted underneath the VTR mirror for some reason).

Not a lot of people carry out "lifesavers" (L/S), and these mirrors can help you - although they shouldn't be used as a substitute for a L/S.

If the frog eye was the same width as the VTR mirror, I'd contemplate one. At the end of the day, I have a strong sense of self preservation when out on the bikes!

I'd certainly have no hesitation on putting one of the frog eyes on the large Honda Wings mirror!

Street cred = 0
Live to ride another day = 1 - and that's what counts!

Also - for a lifesaving mirror that can be cover all angles at the same time - check out the Rider Scan Mirror: http://www.huntercreate.com/videos.htm A superb bit of kit, and a Scottish invention now used all over the world!! :thumbup:

--------------------------------------------------------------
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I also have a 2" blind spot mirror fitted to my right side mirror, and wouldn't be without it now. However they do take a little getting used to when first fitted. I also have 2" (50mm) mirror extenders fitted. That set up works well for me.
TheGingerBeardMan wrote: Not a lot of people carry out "lifesavers" (L/S), and these mirrors can help you - although they shouldn't be used as a substitute for a L/S.
Yes I agree with not using the B/S mirror as a substitute for the Life Saver. I have also noticed down here not that many bikers carrying out the L/S check,

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Elbows in the way? I've never had this problem :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Virt wrote:Elbows in the way? I've never had this problem :lol:

thats cos yr only 3ft tall................ :shifty:

hmmm not sure what happened there...........must be the rot extending to me brain :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
Virt

Post by Virt »

6ft you cheeky sod :lol: I'm just a third of your weight and age :wink:

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Virt wrote:6ft you cheeky sod :lol: I'm just a third of your weight and age :wink:

aye....... tis sad that not just wisdom grows with age (insert smilie with pipe n slippers) :angel:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Sounds like it's hubris that you're referring to!

markbo

Post by markbo »

when i started riding in the 70's a lifesaver was something that every biker did before pulling out/overtaking so i've done it all my life - still do, even in the car.
i just like to be able to see what's behind me even tho (or is that becuase) i'm only riding for very few hours a week and only in "off peak" times - as if we get many of those.
i'll get a 2 inch stick on and try it but i'm going to give the frog eye a go on the road first ( before i consign it to the wife's s-max, purely in the interest of her safety :lol: ) - luckily my street cred is already around the 0 mark anyway so i don't have much to lose!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

markbo wrote:when i started riding in the 70's a lifesaver was something that every biker did before pulling out/overtaking so i've done it all my life - still do, even in the car.
Funny that, as I do the same in a car :) Old habits die hard I guess.

I've just noticed you have what look like Yamaha R1 mirrors on your bike, they were a mod that owners did instead of buying mirror extenders.

The Rider Scan Mirror that TheGingerBeardMan puts a link up for seems to give a very good rear view.

I would like to try one of these Reevu helmets in the link below.
Near the bottom of this link (above the FAQ's) are two videos:-
http://www.reevu.rapidbikes.co.uk/rear-view-helmets.php

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I see where your coming from but I wouldn't put that on my bike :lol: I'd like some x-ray vision for those sun blinding moments and oncoming headlights at night, then have to let the force be with us for those moments where blinded.

If it makes you feel safer then give it a try. See how you get on with it. Personally I would get some mirror extenders, this solves the elbow problem.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside