Clutch problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Trevor77

Clutch problem

Post by Trevor77 »

i'm a complete newbie when it comes to bikes, but have bought myself a beautiful looking storm. I removed the front sprocket cover to clean the chain and when I put it all back together the clutch stopped working! There is no resistance to the lever. The fluid level is up to the max. What the @€%# have I done?
MacV2

Re: Clutch problem

Post by MacV2 »

Trevor77 wrote:i'm a complete newbie when it comes to bikes, but have bought myself a beautiful looking storm. I removed the front sprocket cover to clean the chain and when I put it all back together the clutch stopped working! There is no resistance to the lever. The fluid level is up to the max. What the @€%# have I done?
It's just a case of a bit of air getting in the system. With the cover off & the lever still in place it puts a bit of pressure on which pushes the slave cylinder out therefore allowing a bit of air in.

Bleed the clutch through it should come back fine.

For future reference when taking the cover off just take the lever off first.

Where are you based ? A local Stormer may be available to help out.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

All it needs is a good bleed. As the reservoir has a small capacity keep topping it as you bleed otherwise you risk air getting in.

Next time you fiddle with sprocket cover just tie the clutch lever back to avoid it happening again.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Trevor77

Post by Trevor77 »

Amazing, cheers lads. I'll bleed it tomorrow. I'm based in BANBURY if there are any other stormers.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Trevor77 wrote:Amazing, cheers lads. I'll bleed it tomorrow. I'm based in BANBURY if there are any other stormers.
Oh there are plenty of other Stormers, whether any are near Banbury is another mater entirely... :lol: :lol:

Bleeding the clutch can be a bit of a hassle. It can take some time to do it. Just make sure you keep the reservoir topped up at all times like Wicky said. A helper will be a big advantage.

Personally I use a big syringe & push the fluid in from the bottom, top up the res if ness then give it a bleed through as norm.

Good luck keep us posted...

You passed your test yet ?
Trevor77

Post by Trevor77 »

Got my test next week! This is my first bike. Gulp.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Trevor77 wrote:Got my test next week! This is my first bike. Gulp.
Well best of luck to you Trevor. Take it easy until you get used to it...Although I expect you'll have to run it with a restriction of 33bhp for a while... :(
darkember

Post by darkember »

Just remember gentle gentle with the throttle. Snapping it open like on a ped might scare the pants off you :lol: :lol:

Another point on the clutch issue. You can also tie back the plunger in the slave cylinder. This plunger slowly extracts itself if not held in place.
Trevor77

Post by Trevor77 »

Cheers for the advice. The bike won't be restricted as I'm doing direct access and I'm an old wombles.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Trevor77 wrote:Cheers for the advice. The bike won't be restricted as I'm doing direct access and I'm an old fcuker.
Many of us on here are in the same area :plainsmile . There are a few really old fossils though won't mention names :lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

darkember wrote:
Trevor77 wrote:Cheers for the advice. The bike won't be restricted as I'm doing direct access and I'm an old fcuker.
Many of us on here are in the same area :plainsmile . There are a few really old fossils though won't mention names :lol: :lol:
As Al said in another post...Some might find that the forum has a bit of a clique going on...It is true but most of the cliques are arthritic joints... :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome ... Good luck with the test?

I am not to far from you and go through Banbury as one of my local rides, might. Catch you when the days get dryer
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

The problem with taking the sprocket cover off is behind the slave piston is a big spring pushing it out ,
So when you remove the sprocket cover it pushes the piston out and let's are in ,
I have tried removing the lever but it still lets air in so now I expect to bleed the clutch when I remove the sprocket cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And make sure the clutch pushrod goes back in the right way around if you remove it. Note one end is different.

A couple of links on bleeding brakes/clutch
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... e+bleeding

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14898

Good luck on you test.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside