JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers

Post by Wicky »

Stumbled accross JIS screwdrivers, as most folk know screws on our Hondas get easily chewed up so going to try these out. Will report when they turn up.

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb60 ... ID=7575847

The perfect screwdriver for your Honda screws.
Your Honda uses JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screws NOT Phillips screws, so use the correct Japanese manufactured tools to save damaging them.
Ever wondered why your Phillips screwdrivers keep rounding out on your Honda screws? Well basically Honda use JIS screws (Japanese Industry Standard) and not Phillips screws that we are used to.
These JIS screwdrivers will fit perfectly into the screwhead and not slip or round out as they usually do if using a Phillips screwdriver.
JIS looks much like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. The driver has a 57 degree point with a flat tip, parallel wings.

JIS screwdrivers will work perfectly well with both JIS screws and Phillips screws, but a Philips screwdriver will only be of optimum use on a Phillips screw and will likely damage a JIS screw.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers

Post by sirch345 »

That's interesting.
Please do keep us posted Wicky :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That is very interesting but I have never heard of such a thing and why don't we get bits in our kits like that. Phillips and Posi in various sizes is what we get.
not slip or round out as they usually do if using a Phillips screwdriver.
This reminds me of the Snap on patent ACR (anti-camout) bits which have raised bits like ribs along the inside edge of the screwdriver bit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a- ... ips-IIreg/

https://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS ... rewdrv.pdf

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Also found this http://hondakarma.com/threads/japanese- ... -jis.8687/

Interesting about the "dot" on the screws, always wondered what they were about!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow that first sentence says it all for me.
They say you learn something new every day,call it a clique or a fact but I was not aware of this standard till today.
Thanks for the link I found that very interesting. Now we know what the dots are about. Nice one Wicky you have found a new discovery here. :clap: :clap: Thread bookmarked....very useful indeed :thumbup: I will never screw the same way again. :lol:

Macmorgan

Post by Macmorgan »

I've been using JIS screwdrivers for a couple of years. They'll sometimes even work on screws that have already been butchered with standard Phillips head drivers. Surprised they haven't been discovered sooner. Also, check your tool kit. The screwdriver that comes with it is JIS. I've ordered a couple to have as spares. The handle and the double ended bit (straight end/cross end) cost about $1.00 each.

Mac Morgan
Hockessin, DE :D
Macmorgan

Post by Macmorgan »

Check your tool kit. 8O
Macmorgan

Post by Macmorgan »

I believe the dots on screw heads signify hardness. :?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Wicky wrote:Stumbled accross JIS screwdrivers, as most folk know screws on our Hondas get easily chewed up so going to try these out. Will report when they turn up.

http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb60 ... ID=7575847

[]
Yes. And people who bought these screwdrivers also bought Africa Twin crashbars.
Presumably used to bash the screwdriver into the head stripped by using a Phillips one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Check your tool kit. 8O
Checked my toolkit and found two nuts.

Funningly enough the screwdrivers in the toolkit I think are pretty good. That explains why then. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts