Storm stalling and tickover speed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
phattire

Storm stalling and tickover speed

Post by phattire »

Out yesterday and the storm developed an anoying problem of cutting out at traffic lifghts - she was doing it on a regular basis.

I've got a set of wolf cans and she never had this problem before, the tickover is about 12-1300 rpm. Apart from that she was running fine.

It was bloody cold - could it be carb icing? Or is the tickover a bit low.

She had a service last week.

Any suggestions.

Cheers

Phats!
If it's yellow you should see a doctor!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

The tick over sounds about right.
Mine always runs rougher in this weather and tends to stall more than in the summer.
It might be worth checking to see if the carbs were ballanced correctly and plugs changed. Did they make any other adjustments when it was serviced?

Pete.l
phattire

Thanks Pete

Post by phattire »

I've looked at the receipt and it says that the carbs were balanced - the plugs wern't changed (It was a 4000 Mile service)
Been looking on the different threads and found one on a similar problem.

The solution may be to use pro boost during the colder weather - is this something that you've used and do you use it all year round as well as the winter.

Cheers

Greg
If it's yellow you should see a doctor!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've not used Pro Boost but I have been using HarlyDavidson Idle Boost for the last month plus a hotter grade plug. I still get the odd stumble (normally when half warm) but cold starting is no probs :D .
If the bikes been struggling in the cold the plugs might be a bit tired and need changing even if they haven't done the miles.

Pete.l
RQ

Post by RQ »

I use the pro boost, at the start I thought it was great, now I'm not sure if it was all in my mind of not though!
It certainly won't do any harm.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Bink

Post by Bink »

If that doesn't work you can always go done the trusted Custard route ..
Skatrekker

Doh!

Post by Skatrekker »

My VTR had been stalling at the lights etc even when warmed up so I upped the tickover speed to 1100-1200 rpm. This worked for a while but last week I was setting off on a 200 mile ride when it started running on one pot. Stopped at the roadside and found the front exhaust was cold. Whipped the plug lead off to check spark, plenty there. took plug out and the electrode had completely burnt away ! After a slow ride home I put a new Splitfire plug in and it ran well. Started off again and no further problems. MPG was better too.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Skatrekker,
Just curious mate, what type/make of plug had the electrode burnt away from?
cheers Chris.