What epoxy for carb slide?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Twitchy

What epoxy for carb slide?

Post by Twitchy »

Can anyone tell me what type of epoxy I need to use to block the hole in the carb slide? I found a couple that do not work with polyethylene or polyproylene, which I think will be fine, but none definitively state they are fuel resistant. Can anyone help me out with suggestions/brands?

Thanks.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
StuartWags

Re: What epoxy for carb slide?

Post by StuartWags »

Plastex would do it

My fairing is held together with it and i have done two years riding and dropped it 3 times without it braking the repaired parts.. tail light fell of this week though that had been held in with it

Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Araldite extra strong maybe ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm not sure we can help much with Brands as your in OZ. I have used Araldite in the past but JB Weld is another option. :think: Whatever you use makes sure to do a tidy job of it. You don't want a big blob of it poking through the whole inside the slide. I stuck a bit of card behind while spreading epoxy in the hole. Make sure you rub it down nice and smooth too. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

plastex.... hands down
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Not sure we have Plastex here, Araldite we do. But reading all the packaging of the different Araldite products, none said anything about resistant to fuels. Maybe Araldite then.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I have used "0" rings which are cut & glued in the holes for years, with no issues.

I have two box sets of "0" rings, I cut one that looks to be a good fit & try it in the hole to be sealed.

Once happy with the "tight" fit, I pull it out & place a little superglue on the "0" ring & push it back into the hole about 4-5mm.

Then cut the excess off with a craft blade & wipe away the excess glue with your finger :thumbup:

I have just filled four holes tonight :roll: I'll take a picky tomorrow & post it up for you :thumbup:
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Hmmm, interesting concept Varastorm. I would like to see a photo, but this sounds like a good alternative. Thanks.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi Twitchy, here are some photos of the "0"ringed filled holes :thumbup:

Sorry about the scratches on the slide, seems as if the blade I used had a bit of damage on it & I never used my glasses to do the cleaning/cutting job & only noticed it when photographing the things :roll:

If you use a new blade, you will avoid this happening to you :thumbup:

Btw, the drill pictured is the one supplied from Dynojet (2.5mm). That is the same drill I use to push through & ream the holes clean when I have been trying different setups :thumbup:

One thing I have been thinking about is the HRC single holed slides, I wonder if they are 2.5mm? They could be larger, 3.00mm or 3.25mm.

All we have is an old picture to go on, something to think about :wink:
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Thanks Varastorm, I have spotted a few guys that have used the 'o' ring method on SH forum, that may just be the way to go.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That looks very neat Vara.
One thing I have been thinking about is the HRC single holed slides, I wonder if they are 2.5mm? They could be larger, 3.00mm or 3.25mm.
Good question that.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
kev64

Post by kev64 »

I just got poundland epoxy resin, and it worked great
and it only cost a pound !! :thumbup:
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

So I went with the 'o'ring method. Got a drop of super glue on the needle holder side, and a bit on the curved surface. I just hope it is enough to hold out against the vacuum acting on the area. Have updated my build thread.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

There is an answer to what size are the holes in the HRC slides....you just have to ask the person that has a set lying around. :angel:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Well?
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia