Cam chain tensioning - manual

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Cadbury64

Cam chain tensioning - manual

Post by Cadbury64 »

Here's a quick question for Carl (if you're watching). I pulled off the rear cam cover recently to add a bit of sealant as there was a bit of a weep; I read here that there was no need for sealant, the front head looks good but not so for the back head. So a wee dollop of sealant on the half moon sections was added.

Anyway, while I was in there I admired the lovely shiny cam lobes (no visible wear at 73000km - none at all! I'm a former VF750F owner) and splashes of clean and happy oil, and gave my camchain a prod to check for slack between the sprockets. I expected to feel some of the 5-7mm slack that I set when I installed the manual CCTs. I was surprised to feel that there was no movement at all when I tried to lift it, and I couldn't push down because the guide was covering the top. Is that normal because the guide stops upward movement, or has my chain tension magically increased?
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
RickTheHuman

Re: Cam chain tensioning - manual

Post by RickTheHuman »

Cadbury64 wrote:Here's a quick question for Carl (if you're watching). I pulled off the rear cam cover recently to add a bit of sealant as there was a bit of a weep; I read here that there was no need for sealant, the front head looks good but not so for the back head. So a wee dollop of sealant on the half moon sections was added.

Anyway, while I was in there I admired the lovely shiny cam lobes (no visible wear at 73000km - none at all! I'm a former VF750F owner) and splashes of clean and happy oil, and gave my camchain a prod to check for slack between the sprockets. I expected to feel some of the 5-7mm slack that I set when I installed the manual CCTs. I was surprised to feel that there was no movement at all when I tried to lift it, and I couldn't push down because the guide was covering the top. Is that normal because the guide stops upward movement, or has my chain tension magically increased?
When I carried out the stopper mod last week, I had to remove the guide to properly check tension. It sits in the way a little too much to enable a proper push down on the chain.
I lika do tha cha cha
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Thanks Rick.

I like your avatar picture; is that looking up the Tamar? I've been to Tassie a few times for work and would love to come back there one day for a holiday.
RickTheHuman

Post by RickTheHuman »

Cadbury64 wrote:Thanks Rick.

I like your avatar picture; is that looking up the Tamar? I've been to Tassie a few times for work and would love to come back there one day for a holiday.
Its looking down southern end of the D'Entrecasteaux Channel. I haven't been to NZ yet but it's on the list!
I lika do tha cha cha
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Naah, it's just like Tassie but with fewer Eucalypts and no snakes or wombats. :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm guessing you wasn't on the compression stroke for the cylinder in question then, so the chain is as it's slackest point when you felt it then. :wink: Technically the cam covers don't require any dollop to hold the rubber gaskets in place but I find it helps. A bit of sealant here and there, especially the half moon bits and around the plug area.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside