Carbs - Mystery Brass Round Thingies?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTR-Paul

Carbs - Mystery Brass Round Thingies?

Post by VTR-Paul »

Hi All,

Paul here - newb - based in Lichfield UK. Great site here. Very impressed with the knowledge base :D Lot's of great stuff > I'm trying to resist all the improvements/mods listed here and simply get the bike going before the summer runs out.

I'm recommissioning a '98 (red one - you know, the fast ones) and have a case of carb crud to clear out. It's been stood for a loooong time.

Q - what are these 2 plain diameter brass things? Do they have a function? Do the see any flow?

Really looking forward to riding the bike, once fixed.

(tried the search BTW)

Muchos thankos. Paul.
Wicky

Re: Carbs - Mystery Brass Round Thingies?

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html

Might be easier to find a decent second-hand set of working carbs on fleabay.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

You really don't want me to get into what those bits do or we could be here a while......lol

We will just say that yes they are important,

While those carbs are bad, I have seen worse. The easy way is to find a set of clean replacements as has been suggested in the previous post.
Though you should be able to clean them with a bit of patience. A ultrasonic tank would be the best bet but if you can't locate one then lots of carb cleaner and some compressed air (either a compressor or the canned air will do) Then only take one carb apart at a time as there are different bits front to rear and give it a good soak and blow out all the passages.

I would also replace the pilot jets just on principal as those holes are really small...... :wink:

Not really a hard job just a bit tedious.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

VTR-Paul wrote:Hi All,

I'm recommissioning a '98 (red one - you know, the fast ones)

Muchos thankos. Paul.
I don't think it would be too fast in that condition.

Keep at it - persistence will get you there. Plenty of carb cleaner and compressed air.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000
VTR-Paul

Post by VTR-Paul »

Thanks guys, appreciate you support.

Having a Laverda, I'm pretty clued up on fiddling with gunked carbs and (out of Dellorto necessity) my garage is blessed with compressed air and an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm confident I'll get these VTR carbs back into shape.

To the Firestorm's credit, it did fire up and run with the dirty carbs, but fuel was pissing out of the overflows as the floats were stuck.

I have high hopes for the Firestorm, I had an RSV Mille and like the 'V-twin thing' a lot, but that bike always put me in a bad mood and made me ride like an over-andrenalised idiot.

Interestingly, the VTR brassware is pretty badly pitted, under a magnifying glass. Ethanol attack on the copper elements I suspect. Hence the green...

I'd still like to know what the brass protruding cylinders do!

Cheers

Paul.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

VTR-Paul wrote:I'd still like to know what the brass protruding cylinders do!
They are your jets. They allow fuel to flow from the float bowl up into the carbs. Have a go at cleaning them by all means but they are readily available as a replacement part and not too expensive :thumbup: Main Jet and slow jet are their names :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

VTR-Paul wrote:
I'd still like to know what the brass protruding cylinders do!

Cheers

Paul.
Going from memory as I don't remember where I put my carb book.....not a good sign already...... :lol: :lol:

The one next to the jets is the pick up for the enriching circuit.
The other one I just don't remember right now but if it come to my old foggy brain I'll let you know :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTR-Paul

Post by VTR-Paul »

Thanks Guys, good info.

All clean in the carbs now, just gotta put them back on. New battery fitted, new tyres, front CCT converted to manual (whilst I was under than tank). A new front brake light switch and an MOT should see them wheels a-rollin'....

Can't wait to give it a blast. Fingers crossed.

Paul