Seat catch not opening

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dpacitti

Seat catch not opening

Post by dpacitti »

Hi folks. Any tricks to getting seat off when catch not operating properly? I think I know the problem but need seat off first. Any advice welcome cheers.
StuartWags

Re: Seat catch not opening

Post by StuartWags »

i dont know a an easy way.

if you are really familiar with the internal architecture under the seat it is possible to release the mechanism with a screw driver without trashing anything. when i say familiar i had another one next to it with the seat off

If you are not in that luck position good luck, it could get messy
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Undo as much of the plastics as possible - wait for a hot sunny day :plainsmile and this will soften the plastic seat pan base so you can bend it up to access under the seat to manually yank the seat latch.

Back seat stuck > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19746

rear seat cover stuck > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36797
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And another one for luck :lol:

Seat Lock - Doesn't

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Cheers for the replies and the links guys. I'm in Aberdeen so a REALLY hot sunny day may be a long way off :lol: but I've had a look at the links posted and they're just what I needed. I'm sure I'll get it off and fix it so it doesn't happen again. Cheers, Will hopefully do tonight and update. :D
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Don't get frustrated and try this...

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Thunderchicken

Post by Thunderchicken »

This may not be related. But when you get the seat off, make sure the metal hoops that hold the seat down are not bent forward or backwards. If you adjust them with a hammer straight up, the seat will release much easier.
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

Job done folks. Thanks for all your advice. Was pretty easy in the end. Removed 2 front bolts for the seat cowl/fairing, removed the fairing clips holding the fairing to the undertray. Dropped fairing as much as poss, quite a lot even though the 2 bolts under the seat were still tight. Managed enough leverage to remove rear seat cowl. After that I had all the room necessary to slip in a long screwdriver and release catch. Made all the adjustments as advised by everybody and now the seat glides on and off. Brilliant cheers. :D :D
dpacitti

Post by dpacitti »

FYI the reason mines was stuck was the cable had slipped out of the key end of the seat lock mechanism. I've had the mechanism off a couple of times and the plastic clip part of the cable that slots into the metal bracket was worn. I closed the metal up and it's tight again. Kinda glad it happened as now with the adjustments it's smooth on and off. Cheers again!!!
kevg

Post by kevg »

You can stand behind the bike, grab the front of the seat and if you pull it right back hard enough you can flex the seat up and pop it out from under the tank, takes a bit of effort (balls and praying) but it unlatches the seat from the front and allows you to lever it out of the rear catches. you might not even need the key, can't remember, sold my storm four years ago.
the other thing to do is bend the rear catches (loops) back slightly so they don't engage as much this stops it jamming.
cheerz

kev