Mixing tyres

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SmileyVTR

Mixing tyres

Post by SmileyVTR »

Hi all,

OK, bought the bike a few months ago and rear needs urgent replacing.
Front Qualifier2 is "nearly new" so don't really want to spend money on swapping.

So yes it's recommended to get matching pairs but I no longer light up the roads so no-where near pushing the bike.
I should get matching Q2 for rear, but they're "ok", but I'd like to take opportunity to get more life, so maybe keep Dunlop and go Roadsmart 2...

BUT everywhere I ready people prefer Michelin Roadpilot 2/3/4 which are the same price.

SO thoughts - Q2 front with Roadsmart2 or Roadpillot4 rear....???????

Thanks for your wisdom
:beer:
954luca

Re: Mixing tyres

Post by 954luca »

Mixed tyres many times without any problems, on my storm I currently have a Avon storm front any bt023 rear, even pushing it hard can't tell the difference, and on my 2008 gsxr1000 I ran a racetec k2 front with a pr4 rear for over 1k miles with no problems, before I matched them up, and that's a massive difference between them 2 tyres.

I would go with the pr4 rear, then match the front when needed. The pr4s are excellent tyres, when on the Gsxr I push it quite hard with them on, it's all you need for road use.

If you contact any tyre seller or manufacturers they will always recommend to have a matching pair though. Personally I've never had a problem.
Last edited by 954luca on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

M&P have Avon storm 2 for about £130 a pair
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

Thanks 954luca - pr4 does sound great, but then

Damn you Flatline :biggrin , that does put whole new face on things (missed that deal in my searches) - extra £35 to get matched Storms...equally tempting....
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

You can run a Q2 & a Roadsmart no worries....
As long as the sticky tire is in the front you are fine :thumbup:

Besides the Roadsmart and the Q2 have close enough to be called the same profile so you would be just fine.

Yes I am a Dunlop guy :beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I'll second that Stick one on the front and you'll have no problems. I used to run an 010 front and 020 rear. I used this combination on road and track with no trouble.
I reality on the road you'll not need any more that what every the equivalent to an 020, this is because you'll not be able to get enough heat into a super sticky tyre.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Pirelli diablo £115 I think :lol: :lol: :lol:
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

ok - pr4 and rs2 both have good reviews (no real diff for "normal" riders), I've always had Michelin in passed but like idea of keeping Dunlop pairing

BUT luca got me looking at Bridgestone: BT23 has been replaced with an improved T30, and this year sees an improved EVO variant (all for same price as pr4/rs2 = =£102 from Oponeo, I know, but they're affordable)

Mottorrad and online reviews look great - I like to be different so I'm going to opt for that and give it a go - aim is to get fitted for a two-up trip to Essex/London next weekend hopefully followed by some Peak District scratching - I'll feedback opinion!

Appreciate your help

:clap:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Pirelli Angel ST really durable
Lysy

Post by Lysy »

I would go for Dunlop. I had d209, Roadsmart and currently on Roadsmart 2, can't fault them really and wet grip is seriously good me thinks.
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

Haven't got much different experiences on tires with the storm specifically, but for now I've got a set of roadsmart2 and they seem really good tires, dry and wet. I think between the roadsmart2/michelin pr/bridgestone t30 you can't go wrong with any of those tires. But since you've already got a Dunlop at the front, I would go for the roadsmart2, give it a try, and when they are worn out decide if you're gonna stick with them or change to a complete set of another brand.
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

Thanks again all, really appreciate your thoughts.

Completely agree with you Floris, for the normal rider you'd be hard pushed to tell any difference between them all, they're all great tyres.

I so VERY nearly bought the Dunlops BUT I'm a fair weather biker now (been there, got the t-shirt) and since buying online would like to minimise risk of getting an old tyre that's been sat in a warehouse - so I've ordered the BT30 EVO. I've just come back from a farewell blast on the old rear Diablo around Peak District, can't wait to try a new tyre next weekend.

(and possibly my new pairing will wear out at the same time, so next purchase will be a matching set, of some description)

:clap:
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Ive got Avon storm ultra front and back, the back will need changing in about 500 miles
only covered about 4000, so I'm defo mixing as I wont be buying another Avon storm
Expected a few more miles than that :thumbdown:
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

Thought I'd feed back after a lovely 3 hour damp "winter" scratch around Peak District today -

Mix of Qualifier2 + Evo30 = BEAUTIFUL confidence!

A well planted front and a rear that hardly slipped (well, only when I wanted it to!) :thumbup: