Damn Noise

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
kenmoore

Damn Noise

Post by kenmoore »

Having owned and ridden my Storm under a wide variety of conditions I find myself confronted with a strange noise.

First I thought it was a front wheel bearing so I replaced it and it was still there!

Next New Chain and sprockets.

Still there but not so bad, then the tyres wore out and I thought that the change of tyres would sort it, no luck there either.

Definitely sounds like from the front, however it appears to be evident from the right side of the motor at the clutch.

Sounds like a wheel bearing on the way out to me but it's defo annoying. Made a vid the other day and all you can hear predominantly is a mechanical whirring noise, not like the whine these bikes make due to the primary drive set up but more like a fooked bearing.

Bike performs flawlessly and that in itself is a problem! Every time I pile it on and get past 140 KPH the noise is gone and I enjoy my bike again whilst all the time in the back of my mind I am thinking that something is gunna let go.

Any clues much appreciated.

I have searched this site to no avail as I seem to remember that some one else on here had a similar problem but buggered If I can find that post that I read on here a long time ago!

Cheers in anticipation of an answer to my conundrum! :beer: :beer: :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Re: Damn Noise

Post by fabiostar »

clutch bearing or water pump??
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

As suggested from fabiostar, the right hand side could be clutch area, or water pump. (see quick tip below for how to listen inside the engine)

Does the noise REALLY go away at 140kph, or is it just that you can't hear it due to the wind and engine noise?

Take the bike up to 50mph, and then pull in the clutch lever. Does the noise go away?

If the noise is still there, again, take the bike to 50mph (80Kph), pull in the clutch, and put the bike into NEUTRAL*** Effectively coasting and NOT using the clutch.

*** DO NOT BANG THE BIKE BACK INTO GEAR after this, but rather coast to the side of the road -THEN pull away again. (You don't want to damage the gearbox chunking the bike back into gear at that speed, or risk knackering the cam chain tensioner)

As it's a whirring noise, that doesn't always mean it's something spinning. It could be something moving at high frequency, or something " frantically rubbing" giving the sound effect that it's "whirring".

Check there is no fault in the fan, and that it's clear of stones (I had a small stone in mine after they re-chipped the road, and when the fan kicked in, an almighty clatter started!)

Also have a quick look in the coolant bottle. Is there any fluid in there? Is it clean coolant, or maybe there's crud in the hoses/system, slowing the pump/impellor down. Could be the pump seal. Remove water pump bolts (one at a time) and see if they are dry on removal. If they are rusty, you have a leak. You'll have to remove the right fairing panel, as it won't bend far enough to get the long pump bolt out)

Is the clutch push rod and seal ok? This rod goes all the way through from the clutch cylinder on the left side of the bike (in front of sprocket cover),

You said it makes this noise when you made the video. Was the bike moving, or just running / ticking over on the driveway?

Quick tip:

Pop the bike up on a paddock stand (get the bike upright)

Get a long n' large screwdriver (a flat head), and when the bike is running (upright), touch the blade end of the screwdriver to each engine casing in different areas (clutch and water-pump), and put the handle of the screwdriver in your ear (nice and snug) and you will be amazed at what you can hear through it.

It will act as a stethoscope, and you almost hear every wheel and cog turn, the piston rings, the crank, the clutch and the water pump (depending on which part of the engine you touch the screwdriver end to).

If buying a bike, I always listen to the inside of an engine with me trusty screwdriver. And it's a good tool to use for problems like yours to try and pin-point where the noise is coming from. The louder the noise is located, that's usually the component that's producing it. But it can "bounce" through other areas to still throw you off course. Give it a go, have a listen and see what you think..... :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

I would have to agree with gingerbeard
Pull the clutch in and out with it running and see if the noise goes Away. My bike, I think, needs a clutch basket or plates as it sounds like a muffled dry clutch until u pull the clutch lever in.
If it doesn't go away...
Get ur trusty screwdriver out.. Well.. In(ur ear).
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Thanks for the replies .

I can rule out the water pump as I have an electric water pump.

The drive gear and chain are removed.

I have knocked the bike into neutral and with the engine turned off coasted for many miles down my favourite mountain and the noise was there. I did this when I blew the left radiator and lost the coolant. I thought it was the front wheel bearing so I replaced them and the noise is still there.

That is what alerted me to the noise in the first place and I have been chasing it ever since. It's just like a bearing noise and I will keep searching until I find it.

Pain in the ass! I'm going to remove the back wheel and check the carrier bearings and wheel bearings as well as the back brake caliper. I have visually inspected everything in the rear and all looks good but hey you never know.

I have an external microphone on my bike camera and it's mounted at the top of my number plate and on the video the noise is very evident so I am thinking that it is something in the rear that is causing the noise.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Stone in your shoe?
Boots too big maybe :biggrin

I had a fly in my helmet once and that drove me crazy! :wtf:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Post up the vid or the sound file, so we can dear the noise :thumbup:

Might sound familiar to someone.

If you have a sturdy paddock stand & a good mate, lift the backend making sure the front wheel is against a wall or similar non movable object & run it through a couple of gears. Don't go bonkers though.

You'll be able to rule out the front end then :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

silly thing like a fron mudguard hitting the tyre?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Strange question but all will become apparent, do you have an aftermarket belly pan, cause once I put mine on I found that I was getting the noise from the engine being reflected back at me, cause I thought the bottom end was failing until I worked it out.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Problem solved,

Re adjusted the chain using my profi laser aligner and problem gone.

Went for a ride today and after adjusting the chain to what I thought was a bit on the slack side the noise is gone.

The only other variable in this is that I tightened all the bolts on my R1 rear hugger.(They weren't loose, just took a nip)

Happy camper now, whirring noise is gone!

Yea Ha!!!!!!

Just goes to show that you think you know everything , but you can still get caught out.

:beer: :beer: :beer: To celebrate,.

Fooking chain was too tight!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Well done:clap:
Better loose than tight :-)
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

lloydie wrote:Better loose than tight :-)
Unless it yer wedding night.....where you discover that she should have worn a black dress instead of a white one. :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017