Ballpark cost of getting valve clearances checked/shimmed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
wall.j

Re: Ballpark cost of getting valve clearances checked/shimme

Post by wall.j »

Hi Tony,

Is the offer open to anyone? I live in sunny Sussex and would definitely be up for riding up to you to get the clearances checked. I was planning on doing my first service in the next couple of months too, so could bring up the oil etc and perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

Jamie
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yeah, no problems, one correction, though; I don't actually have a ballpark, so it will have to be in my back garden or garage if it's snowing.

Let me know what day suits you; it'll have to be a weekend day.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Yeah, weekend day would suit me perfectly too. Probably a Saturday as she's at work so that's my play day. Thanks Tony, really appreciate it. Once the winters been and gone, if it decides it's staying (-1 this time last week and +9 today). I'll make the tea!
vanstub

Post by vanstub »

tony.mon wrote:If you can get to Sevenoaks, Kent, £120 including shims, ride-in, ride-out, same day.
The engine cools sufficiently by the time you have it ready to open up and the plastics are off, a cup of tea and some toast and shims included in that cost.
I'll also include the rest of the service if you bring oil, filters and plugs.

Ballpark enough for you?
this offer still available Tony can't pm yet not enough posts,i'll have to start welcoming more people :wave: lol
Life's too short for plain biscuits :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, best get posting!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Just want to thank Tony for his great service today. Clearances checked and a full service done, feel confident enough to have a go myself next time. Anyone who is not sure or lack a little confidence like myself, give Tony a PM and he'll look after you! Thanks again!!
jackson7715

Re: Ballpark cost of getting valve clearances checked/shimmed

Post by jackson7715 »

An old post here. But have come across it whilst searching for ballpoint costs. Ive just myself come into possession of a 1998 firestorm, my first V twin!

It has 15k on the clock and doesnt have much in the way of full history. I was looking at getting the CCT's done plus a service with parts ive already ordered. Would i be worth getting the valves checked as well? And what sort of cost would i be looking at?

I live in Suffolk, but head down to Kent now and then to see friends and family.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jackson7715 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 pm An old post here. But have come across it whilst searching for ballpoint costs. Ive just myself come into possession of a 1998 firestorm, my first V twin!

It has 15k on the clock and doesnt have much in the way of full history. I was looking at getting the CCT's done plus a service with parts ive already ordered. Would i be worth getting the valves checked as well? And what sort of cost would i be looking at?

I live in Suffolk, but head down to Kent now and then to see friends and family.
Last year... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41844#p455923

This year...viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43014

Failing that if you really cant wait that long...Bring it down anyway & I'll be happy to supervise whilst you get your hands dirty...

Failing failing that I could put you in touch with someone a bit nearer to you who might help out...

Also I'm not sure but I doubt at 15k the valves/shims will need much or indeed any work... + if they did you'd need the shims anyway...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jackson7715

Post by jackson7715 »

Just emailed you back mac. :beer:

Where abouts in the country are you?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jackson7715 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:19 pm Just emailed you back mac. :beer:

Where abouts in the country are you?
The independant state of Grain...

Replied to your mail...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...