Sparking fault

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pmd31421

Sparking fault

Post by pmd31421 »

Hi my Vtr1000 has lost the spark at the spark plug when cranking the engine over.
It sparks when I let the starter button go ....?
It's backfires and has fuel at the plug .
It ran fine last week when I put it on the bench to change the brake fluid.
Ideas ?
Pete
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Sparking fault

Post by sirch345 »

Is the battery good do you know, does it turn over at a reasonable rate when trying to start the bike with the plugs in, not struggling :?:

Have you removed and refitted anything thing since it was running good :?:

Chris.
pmd31421

Post by pmd31421 »

Hi , yeah turns over really well . Not 100% sure tho as it soon starts to slow down . Always started the bike before tho. Not taken anything off , I only changed brake and clutch fluids .
Pete
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

In which case I would suggest charging the battery up fully on the bench with a motorcycle charger, and see if that helps it to start it,

Chris.
macdee

Post by macdee »

sirch345 wrote:Is the battery good do you know, does it turn over at a reasonable rate when trying to start the bike with the plugs in, not struggling :?:

Have you removed and refitted anything thing since it was running good :?:

Chris.
As sirch has said i would start with the battery check the voltage
Starting your bike takes a lot of power from your battery so may be not enough left to run the ignition
what R/R is on the bike ,my reg died but before it give up the bike would not run properly popping and banging
told you not to but oh no you knew better
pmd31421

Post by pmd31421 »

Hi , thanks for advice . What I can't understand is why it sparks when I let off the starter button.
Pete
954luca

Post by 954luca »

If the charging system is all ok, try replacing the plug, or swap it with the back one to see if still does it, my front plug lost its spark completely once, new plugs sorted it.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I would check battery,starter button,plugs,leads and coils.The starter button could be losing contact when pushed in and making contact on the release.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

pmd31421 wrote:Hi , thanks for advice . What I can't understand is why it sparks when I let off the starter button.
Pete
Possibly due to more power going to the ignition coils rather than the starter motor as soon as you leave the button go, with the momentum of the engine still turning a small amount after the the start button has been left go,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Bang on Chris.
The load of powering the starter motor robs the coils of the ability to give a decent spark.
This is due to either a weak/poorly charged battery, poor electrical connections around the starter motor, solenoid or battery or even an old worn starter motor.
As has been suggested, start with the easy/ cheep stuff first. Give the battery a charge and clean the connections in the starter circuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I've been resurrecting bike #3, an ST1100 that had been parked up for 8 years. Once I got the fuel system sorted (dead pump and blocked carbs) I found weak sparks in spite of a brand new battery, which made for really poor running at higher revs. One major culprit turned out to be corrosion in the connector that feeds power to/from the right hand switchblock. You should be able to check for voltage between the black/white terminal on the ignition module connector and ground, and expect to see normal battery voltage.

As stated above, try a charged or new battery first.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150