How to change or clean the fuel filter?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
duron600

How to change or clean the fuel filter?

Post by duron600 »

I have a 2001 VTR1000F that has started stalling when accelerating.

One possible explanation is a dirty/clogged fuel filter.

I have the Haynes manual, but it is not very helpful on this point.

Can someone explain to me:
  • Where is the filter located?
    How do I get the filter out?
    How do I clean or replace the filter - and if it must be replaced, where does one find such a thing to buy?
Thanks, Daniel
popkat

Re: How to change or clean the fuel filter?

Post by popkat »

Filter is in the fuel tank, sometimes they come out, sometimes they don't without damaging them, you have to remove the fuel tap to remove it. Filter is available from Honda dealers, not cheap at around £30 though. If it's your filter then you probably have rust in your tank which is another problem altogether.

Check other stuff out first, maybe a vacuum hose hasn't split ?

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

could also be the diaphragm in the fuel tap/petcock, btw the fuel filters in the tank cost a fair bit from Honda, haven't found a cheaper alternative as yet... :thumbdown:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The cheaper alternative is to remove and throw away the standard tank filter then fit a cheap online filter in each fuel line.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

tony.mon wrote:The cheaper alternative is to remove and throw away the standard tank filter then fit a cheap online filter in each fuel line.
I found the previous owner of my bike removed the filter inside the tank, so I installed some see through Mr. Gasket fuel filters. I really like that you can see inside them.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Mine always ran crap with inline filters without a fuel pump :-( .
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

lloydie wrote:Mine always ran crap with inline filters without a fuel pump :-( .
Well that is odd. I even ran the F.I.L. mod with these inline filters and never had fuel starvation. Did you have the filter inside the tank as well?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

No just ran then il .
Priming them was difficult too .
duron600

Post by duron600 »

Thanks guys.

I decided to replace the spark plugs first.

However, I can't fit the spark plug cap back on the rear spark plug, even though the new ones are identical to the old ones. There is something like 1cm left for the spark plug to go down before it fits as it did the old spark plug.

Any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks again, Daniel
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

duron600 wrote:Thanks guys.

I decided to replace the spark plugs first.

However, I can't fit the spark plug cap back on the rear spark plug, even though the new ones are identical to the old ones. There is something like 1cm left for the spark plug to go down before it fits as it did the old spark plug.

Any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks again, Daniel
Have you left the screw cap thing on the new spark plug ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
duron600

Post by duron600 »

Have you left the screw cap thing on the new spark plug ?
I did indeed. Much shame, but I did figure it out myself. Learn something new every time you work on a motorcycle :oops:

Thanks
duron600

Post by duron600 »

So, spark plugs replaced, problem persists. Although the front plug was "carbonized" so it needed replacement.

So battle plan now is:

1. Check vacuum hose for holes, see if it is attached correctly on both ends (if possible).
2. Empty tank, remove petcock and then fuel filter. Check filter, replace or clean if clogged. Check diaphragm, rebuild using rebuild kit (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FPS-Fuel-Petcoc ... Fl&vxp=mtr) or replace entire petcock.
3. Clean carbs. Probably get someone else to do this, as it is beyond my present skills what with the syncronization using manometers and so on that is required. :confused

Will also be adding some magic stuff to the fuel just to see, no great hopes for that.

Thanks, you guys are great!
Daniel
popkat

Post by popkat »

Check the choke to the front carb is in correctly, it may not be screwed in or the holder maybe broken which easily happens and you can end up with the front choke on all the time, this would account for the front plug being sooty.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
duron600

Post by duron600 »

popkat wrote:Check the choke to the front carb is in correctly, it may not be screwed in or the holder maybe broken which easily happens and you can end up with the front choke on all the time, this would account for the front plug being sooty.
This sounds very plausible.

However, I can't see any connection from the choke "lever" to the carburettor.

What is the "holder" and where/how can I find it?

When I remove the air filter, what I see is just the "intakes", each being partially covered by some kind of plate. Should I poke around in those or how to proceed?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Air box lid off...

Remove the stacks, two captive screws each.

Stuff some rag/paper towl down the carb throats...

Remove the four screws that were hidden by the stacks from each carb throat...These are what hold the air box base to the carbs, these are also why you have stuffed the carb throats as you don't wanna be dropping them down the carbs...

Pull the base up & pop it off the four pipes underneath, have a look before you do to see what pipes & where they go back whaen you need to refit it.

Once removed you will reveal the carbs.

The chock cable runs from the left side of the frame goes to a splitter then two seperate cables run around the carbs & fix in on the right hand side, one to the front & one to the rear...The nuts they connect with are plastic & can snap quite easily...

As Popkat says just check to make sure they are both seated properly...

I have a spare if nessasary... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...