Wont pull over 4k revs. Ran out of ideas!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dave p

Wont pull over 4k revs. Ran out of ideas!

Post by dave p »

Hi guys, ive recently bought a storm that was parked up for at least a couple of years, nice looking thing in silver but obviously didnt run as prev owner left all the petrol in it ive cleaned out the tank and fuel tap, cleaned the carbs out, changed fluids etc and generally checked everything over. It idles fine and runs up to 4k fine and then just will not pull over 4k and seems to stop firing on at least one cylinder, ive changed the plugs, coils with leads and caps, cleaned out carbs again, set mixtures to 3 turns out front 2 3/4 rear and its on standard jets.the vacuum hose is on the rear of the tap as it should be,ive set tps to 500k ohms, balanced the carbs but it still wont pull over 4k and when revved up to that at a stand still is the same. Its got cans on it but standard jets etc and emulsion tubes are the correct way round.any one got any ideas pls? Or any spare bits i could try if you may be near warrington? Im beginning to think its electrical further back from the coils. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im out of ideas and cant seem to find anything wrong.cheers
lumpyv

Re: Wont pull over 4k revs. Ran out of ideas!

Post by lumpyv »

im no expert but isn't this the symptom of the timing being 180 degrees out of whack??

some brainy person will be along and give you chapter and verse in a bit :thumbup: :beer:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
dave p

Post by dave p »

Maybe.previous owner said it had new cct's and a service with plugs then didnt run right.said it misfired which it does a bit but it just wont kick in and pull over 4k
Watty

Post by Watty »

Agree with Mr Lumpy :thumbup: Although 4k seems a little low :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Agree with watty & lumpy,especially as it has new cct's and hasn't run right since.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
dave p

Post by dave p »

Thanks for the replies.Is there any easy way to check or is it cam covers off?
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I have a 1990 ST1100 that had sat for 10 years when I bought it. After I cleaned the carbs and replaced plugs/fuel pump/fuel filter, it would fart about horribly over 4k, but ran like a watch under that. I finally got it running right when I went through all the electrical connectors and cleaned them, as I found corrosion in the main red plug that supplies power to/from the right switchgear and then to the ignition/coils. I had low supply voltage to the ECU and that lead to a weak spark. I've also anecdotally heard that VTR's don't like old batteries and will run like poo unless you feed them a new one; I guess a dying battery would also give low running voltage and the same effect on sparks.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
dave p

Post by dave p »

Thanks Cadbury64 ill check them as well next time i do battle with it. I put a new battery on it straight away though as the old one had died.
dave p

Post by dave p »

Checked all that, cleaned out the carbs and fuel tap again and its still the same, wont pull when you go over 4k ish.its got harpoon race cans fitted and its on standard main jets, runs spot on under 4k, beginning to think it needs rejetting to suit?any ideas anyone please?
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I had Harpoon open cans on with stock jetting. Ran like a (very loud) good'n.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Any idea why it was parked up by PO? was it the same issue you're now facing?

You haven't mentioned air filter - have you checked that it's clean with no dead animals in the airbox / ideally fitted a new standard un. > http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... ear-25906/

Might want to check the black boxes in the tail of the bike - try some new secondhand ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR1000 ... Swv9hW5rhj
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I seem to remember not too long ago some one else had the same problem and it turned out to be restrictor on the speedo as it was a Japanese import (or something like that)
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I had a similar issue a while back & it turned out that it was a CV diaphragm not seated properly on one of the carbs.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like 180 out.
Retime the engine, following the knowledge base instructions on here and you will either fix it or rule that out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

My old boss at the bike shop would tell me "son, you gotta check every shitty thing they do!" What does it do? Does the engine sputter when you hit 4K or does is bog down? Back in my old BMW days we used to have CV diaphragm issues. It would run OK up to a point and then just not pull as one side dragged down the other side.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach