Starting trouble,

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Ianasauras

Starting trouble,

Post by Ianasauras »

Hi guys,

Overall the bike is running well. But on these cold mornings its definitely being tougher starting the bike. It starts easy enough if the battery has been left on the trickle charger overnight, I've checked the voltage whhen its been left overnight without it and ot stays around 14v. I have brand new spark plugs, i replaced the starter motor recently as well as the reg/rec. Battery is fairly new as well. All the wires under the seat are free from corrosion. What could be causing this?
Wicky

Re: Starting trouble,

Post by Wicky »

Try whirring the starter for a few seconds (no choke) switch off and leave for a minute - and restart using choke.

As long as your not getting the starter relay just clicking and the starter not turning it generally indicates enough voltage getting to the starter. (Keep the starter terminal under the rubber hood regularly vasalined up to keep corrosion at bay).

Double check wiring earths and connectors are all clean, corrosion free and tight. Plus terminal connections on battery are clean & tight.

If problems persist check the choke cable connections to the carbs are working okay and not sticking - careful with the plastic nuts as they become brittle with age.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

As a general thing on all my bikes I hit the starter button with no choke and then with the engine turning over add choke as necessary. That way you are sure to find the correct amount of choke/enriching required, if any and much less chance of flooding the engine.

Try it, it may help.

In cold weather it can also help to get a little bit of oil pressure before the engine starts. Plus, an over enthusiastic amount of choke to begin with can rev the tits off a cold engine.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

KermitLeFrog wrote:As a general thing on all my bikes I hit the starter button with no choke and then with the engine turning over add choke as necessary. That way you are sure to find the correct amount of choke/enriching required, if any and much less chance of flooding the engine.

Try it, it may help.

In cold weather it can also help to get a little bit of oil pressure before the engine starts. Plus, an over enthusiastic amount of choke to begin with can rev the tits off a cold engine.
This method always worked best for me too. It also lets the engine get up to speed easier which means there is less load on the battery and that, in turn, will also help give stronger spark.
I also used to run a hotter grade plug in the winter. That made a big difference when the temperature really drops

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

with mine no matter how long its been sitting, full choke or no choke it refuses to start. iv had to find the sweet spot with my choke held half way out and it fires first time everytime..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

Its like a magic trick. Tried it with half choke this morning and started no problem. Now maybe I'll stop contemplating selling it!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Ianasauras wrote:Its like a magic trick. Tried it with half choke this morning and started no problem. Now maybe I'll stop contemplating selling it!

problem sorted then?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

I'Il know for sure on Monday after lying up for the weekend. But seems better.
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

Nope still sh1t at starting. Was on a trickle charger until yesterday morning. Started fine then, wen't to start it this morning and it just wouldn't fire. Was late for work again!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

First determine if you have an ignition starting / charging issue or a fuelling issue. Have you checked the starter motor bolt for corrosion?
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26048

Then there is the charging system. You shouldn't have to leave a bike on trickle charge if you using it on a daily basis. In fact they can cause more damage than good and overcharge a battery depending on which charger you use and if it's working as it should be. A good battery should be able to go weeks before it requires a charge to get the engine to turn over.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28771
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

I only replaced the starter motor including the bolt in June and checked the bolt on Sunday, no corrosion at all.
The battery was bought new in July. Usually i get 2 weeks after charging, but as i say had it charge Wednesday night to Thursday morning. Started on Thursday, wouldn't start today.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Check your petcock diaphragm...make sure it has no splits in it.

Also check the vac hose from the rear cylinder to the petcock, again make sure the pipe isn't split at the ends...If the vac isn't pulling fully it wont let the fule flow.

If you have the vac pipes set up for carb balance make sure the pipes are blocked off fully & not letting air in...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Does it fire up just as you get bored and release the starter to hit it again?
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Ianasauras

Post by Ianasauras »

MacV2 wrote:Check your petcock diaphragm...make sure it has no splits in it.

Also check the vac hose from the rear cylinder to the petcock, again make sure the pipe isn't split at the ends...If the vac isn't pulling fully it wont let the fule flow.

If you have the vac pipes set up for carb balance make sure the pipes are blocked off fully & not letting air in...

So exactly how do i go about checking those? Just visually looking for splits?

Im starting to think that the cheapish battery i bought may be a contributor. Its by a company called Unibat.