coolant leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mr dave

coolant leak

Post by mr dave »

ive just noticed a slight leak from what looks to be a small hose from the thermostat cant be 100 %sure, question is the bike has been sitting on a rear paddock stand for a few weeks while the subframe was away getting powder coated i was wandering if there was an overflow or something that could be leaking fluid due to the position of the bike, or am i clutching at straws and being unusually optimistic :D
lloydie

Re: coolant leak

Post by lloydie »

Run it up on temp and you should see where it's coming from .
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

your mechanical water pump seal is on its way out, iv just had the very same thing.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mr dave

Post by mr dave »

drip is hanging on the end of what looks like a metal connection between the rear cylinder head and the small hose that connects to the thermostat housing , cant really see it too well and cant start the bike coz all the electrics are disconnected and the fuel tanks full to the brim so i aint taking it off . So its going to have to wait till spring so i can burn up some fuel :D
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

can you take a pic of the offender
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mr dave

Post by mr dave »

bikes got the back end back on started it up and the drip dried up, let it run till the fan came on a couple of times, checked the next day still no drip, so everything good for now :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That little hose is often the source of leaks.
To access it you have to take off the tank, airbox lid, carbs and airbox.
Simple job.
Half an hour.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
redpig

Post by redpig »

fabiostar wrote:your mechanical water pump seal is on its way out, iv just had the very same thing.
Heyup Fabio,
Just noticed a leak of what looked to be muddy water just below the water pump casing, bent down to have a look and there is a little hole in the casing where I think the leak came from, can't tell cos it hasn't left a trail just dried up on the front of the casing. There is indication of a tiny bit of oil coming from the hole.
Don't know much about it but according to Haynes there should be a little hose there, mine has nothing of the sort just a little hole, I'm worried about it being a big job as money wise I'm struggling these days. Not riding her since I noticed it though.
ook
VTR3545

Post by VTR3545 »

had a similar thing, thought a hose was split from the expansion tank but no....anyway as an interim measure (well for this year lol) I added radweld advanced and no more leak :D :D
Would have had a proper look but couldnt work out how to remove the carbs :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

redpig wrote:
There is indication of a tiny bit of oil coming from the hole..
Sounds like water pump seal has faliled so it comes out the small overflow hole (later models '01+ have a overflow spigot) to prevent leaking coolant getting into the oil sump. Clutch cover and waterpump off. New seal, fresh oil and coolant and new gaskets.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts