temp gauge needed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jimd0g1985

temp gauge needed

Post by jimd0g1985 »

Hi everyone. Im new here so be gentle. Just bought a 05 vtr 1000 street fighter 2 months ago and just trying to get it all sorted. It was 95% complete so im still finding things that need doin everytime i look at it. Anyway its got a after market dash on it but it has no temperature display on it. Its an acewell one so very odd. Anyway i need to know the temp of this thing as its been hot here in Australia the last few weeks and everytime ive ridden it, u can feel how hot they get very quickly sitting at traffic lights.

So its still got the original temp sensor coming out of the thermostat housing but have no idea where the wire runs too. My question is can i just wire a new aftermarket gauge in replacing the standard sensor and wire or is it linked to engine timing or ignition etc? Otherwise i can just put one of those radiator caps on with the temp gauge on them (i know they aint very accurate but better then nothing i guess). Any advice would be awesome thanks.
alanfjones1411

Re: temp gauge needed

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave: :thumbup: .They all run hot when sitting at lights even in the U.K. as long as the fan cuts in i wouldn't worry too much.But for peace of mind i would get it fixed.I am sure someone will be along in a bit with better advice.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
jimd0g1985

Post by jimd0g1985 »

I forgot to mention. I noticed the fan wasnt cutting on so i tested it and found the fan sensor was buggered also. So put a new one on.
macdee

Post by macdee »

Cpc part of the farnel group do cheap little temp guages for about about a fiver
sticky sencor
Good display
Small
Also displays outside temp ,time etc,
Last edited by macdee on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
told you not to but oh no you knew better
longandlow

Post by longandlow »

I fitted a cheap single aftermarket gauage to my racing storm. The vibration shook it to bits after one meeting. The standard sender wouldn't work with it and the sender that came with it didn't fit the storm housing. A bit of drilling and tapping sorted that bit.