Generator cover inspection bolt

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
davebonline

Generator cover inspection bolt

Post by davebonline »

Anyone got an idea where I can get a new generator centre/inspection bolt for the Storm. Ideally one made of stronger material than stock, failing that just a stick one? Thanks
Wicky

Re: Generator cover inspection bolt

Post by Wicky »

Last edited by Wicky on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

Thanks but it's the other one (I shouldn't have said 'inspection'). It's the larger centre one I'm after, the one you remove to turn the crank, the one made of cheese I'll check out the parts link, thanks.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

See the Rugged Roads 30mm cap ebay link above
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

davebonline

Post by davebonline »

I've ended up just getting a new stock one from davidsilver spares, £20 though! Ouch.

Wicky, thanks so much for all the useful links, that was really helpful. Just surprised there aren't more custom options available for this part.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebonline wrote:I've ended up just getting a new stock one from davidsilver spares, £20 though! Ouch.

Wicky, thanks so much for all the useful links, that was really helpful. Just surprised there aren't more custom options available for this part.
Use some copper slip & dont tighten it up to hard...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

There are sporodic options as I linked and one of the forum members here made a small batch of titanium and ss replacement caps. I'm going to a CNC engineering firm on Friday afternoon and can give them my aftermarket ti to measure up and duplicate in ali/steel. Though bare in mind that the original is in soft metal possibly for a purpose in that it will deform before the actual casing would suffer more expensively than the cheaper 'disposable cap'. Just copper grease up your new cap when installing to lessen the chances of it seizing in the future.

davebonline

Re: RE: Re: Generator cover inspection bolt

Post by davebonline »

Wicky wrote:There are sporodic options as I linked and one of the forum members here made a small batch of titanium and ss replacement caps. I'm going to a CNC engineering firm on Friday afternoon and can give them my aftermarket ti to measure up and duplicate in ali/steel. Though bare in mind that the original is in soft metal possibly for a purpose in that it will deform before the actual casing would suffer more expensively than the cheaper 'disposable cap'. Just copper grease up your new cap when installing to lessen the chances of it seizing in the future.
Thanks, yes fully intend to add some copper slip when I fit this.

Any tips in removing the existing one, the Allen slot was perfect condition and I used a professional 10mm Allen socket but it still started to spin/strip inside? Image
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Undo it with a few taps with a drift and hammer

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18711