best front brake pads

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Chris84h

Re: best front brake pads

Post by Chris84h »

alanfjones1411 wrote:
Chris84h wrote:I had oems on but they were well worn and I've just changed to ebc hh and they feel much better but it could just be they're new and not worn out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbup: :wave:
Cheers fella Image

You know you wanna :beer:
Chris84h

Post by Chris84h »

Stratman wrote:I have Ferodo sintered in mine and they are fine. I had EBC before. I find both better than OEM in the front but use standard at the rear as sintered are too grabby for my style of riding.
Would you use slot of back break then? I'm a back brake fan and use it just as much as my fronts.

You know you wanna :beer:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Chris84h wrote:
Stratman wrote:I have Ferodo sintered in mine and they are fine. I had EBC before. I find both better than OEM in the front but use standard at the rear as sintered are too grabby for my style of riding.
Would you use slot of back break then? I'm a back brake fan and use it just as much as my fronts.

Yes, I use the back brake to steady the bike when riding hard through the bends and the fronts just for hard stopping - no diving around on the forks. I find that I have to completely readjust when riding my RT as the fronts on that are mighty powerful and the rear virtually useless except when at slow speed.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

fatfreddy000

Thread reviver..

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hi all,
Need to buy a complete set of pads for the vtr..
As usual I am skint and have ploughed too much money into this wonderful yet infernal machine!
I know brakes are no an area to scrimp on but has anybody tried the cheaper sets on eBay e.g sbs or pyramid..
What's the difference in feel, grab and longevity compared to the better ebc's or goldfren's etc.
Opinions welcomed but please say yes I can get a decent set for £25!
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

SBS come highly recomended by Jonesy...

I've used Goldfren in the past Benny Hedges recomended them, others have dissed them.

Cheeky Kev swares by std pads...

It's all down to personal prefrence really & a lot of it comes down to how hard you use the brakes.

Before fitting new pads strip & clean the callipers fully...pistons out the full monty clean up, fresh fluid of course when you rebuild them... Makes a big difference when the pistons move properly... Also worth noting that if the pads you changeing are quite low the pistons will need pushing back in...another reason to clean them properly first, you dont want the crud on the pistons being pushed in to the seals...wont do them a lot of good...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
podman

Post by podman »

Standard pads are hard to beat, I know for fact some of the SuperStock riders use standard pads with no issues but they are expensive Vs aftermarket.

I fitted EBCs as Winter came in so cant say what they are like yet but part of my decision was they are a British company(even if the pads may be manufactured in the US) , from bikes to food, im aiming to buy British or UK manufactured as much as I can now!
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 pm SBS come highly recomended by Jonesy...

I've used Goldfren in the past Benny Hedges recomended them, others have dissed them.

Cheeky Kev swares by std pads...

It's all down to personal prefrence really & a lot of it comes down to how hard you use the brakes.

Before fitting new pads strip & clean the callipers fully...pistons out the full monty clean up, fresh fluid of course when you rebuild them... Makes a big difference when the pistons move properly... Also worth noting that if the pads you changeing are quite low the pistons will need pushing back in...another reason to clean them properly first, you dont want the crud on the pistons being pushed in to the seals...wont do them a lot of good...
I very recently stripped and rebuilt all 3 calipers and replaced fluid.
The rear brake had had a solely on/off function and the front was about as effective as a wet rim brake with nylon pads.
Been good sinc but the pads are well low now.
In wonder if this bike will ever not have a mile long list of jobs needing doing.
I think I will try the goldfren ceramic carbon as a full set is just £33 on eBay and these are what I was using on my previous bike, the gpz750 rat..
Thanks for the info..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk