Briefly fluctuating meters

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Briefly fluctuating meters

Post by jchesshyre »

Today whilst riding at about 50 my speedo and tach briefly went wobbly, both at the same time, for about five seconds, like they had an intermittent connection. It didn't happen again! I've checked the battery connections and they're tight. What should I check next? Does the fact that it was both of them (with no hesitation from the engine) suggest just the connections to the instruments, or can a dodgy reg-rec or connection somewhere else also cause this behaviour?
fabiostar

Re: Briefly fluctuating meters

Post by fabiostar »

id be checking your battery output and your rec/reg is gona be the main culprit.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Right will do (tomorrow when I won't piss the neighbours off by running the bike in the garden :lol: ).

The reg-rec isn't an OEM one - it has fins and IIRC says Ducati on it.

EDIT It's done it again just now, and for longer. Seems to be worst when accelerating. And I think the headlight was flickering slightly at the same time.

I will also check that the reg-rec is properly mounted/grounded - part of my recent crash repair involved changing the rear subframe so there's a chance that the r/r hasn't been re-attached securely.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Riiiiight...so I may have found the issue [avec sarcasm].

During my recent crash my starter relay was damaged and a replacement was fitted during the repair job. When I had the rear cowl off this morning I noticed that the connection to this from the battery had come loose :Argue 1: :Argue 1:

I think I'll be going over the whole bike checking all fasteners now. I mean, I was going to anyway but this means I won't put it off any longer. The guy who repaired it has done a good job overall but I'm not best pleased about this.

Thanks for you input fabiostar :)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

also check that there is bare metal connection for all the grounds, if someone has painted the subframe then you could have a poor ground loop. this will also apply to where the subframe bolts to the frame, need at least one of the 4 faces is stripped of paint
AMcQ
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I didn't have the subframe painted so I think that side of things is OK. Good shout though.

I'll see how it behaves now that the main fuse/starter relay is connected properly (!).
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Totally sorted.

Another reminder of why, where possible, I do all work on my bikes myself. No fastener I've tightened has ever come undone...oh except for a gear lever pinch bolt on my CB500, once...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

At last eh :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar