HELP PLEASE!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jbond1

HELP PLEASE!

Post by jbond1 »

my 98 reg/rect diode tests bad, I'm seeing two different types online. One is epoxy filled like the reg on my bike, the other is a cast heat sink unit. Which should I get?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

popkat

Re: HELP PLEASE!

Post by popkat »

The cast one will have fins, go for that type, but don't buy cheap crap, anything under about £50 is cheap. when you fit the new one take an earth direct to the battery and your new one will last.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
jbond1

Post by jbond1 »

Thanks, I pulled mine and had rust on the back of the reg and the tail section where the earth point was. After cleaning didn't get any change. Pull the three pin behind the tank, two pins showed no voltage and one showed full 12.5 with ignition off.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

popkat

Post by popkat »

The ring terminal where the reg/rec bolts is Not the earth for it. The earth wire is in the loom and block connector that plugs in to the reg/rec.

When you fit the new one you can add a washer between the reg/rec and the frame on the mounting bolts which will allow a little more air flow..

Carefully Cut the sheathing about an inch back of the block connector on the earth wire and solder a piece of wire in line, take that new wire direct to the battery with a ring terminal on the end. You will now have a good earth for sure but it's still going through the looms earth as well.. You'll get quite high voltage off the reg/rec probably about 14.8, to lower that a little ride with the lights on.. which is safer anyway :wink:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s