Starter Motor Cable.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Alex.

Starter Motor Cable.

Post by Alex. »

My storm has always been reluctant to start and drained the battery rather quickly. So a month or so ago I started looking into why, when I noticed that the nut holding the cable onto the starter motor resembled a brown blob rather than hexagonal!
I replaced the starter motor with a Blackbird item and things improved marginally.

Next culprit could be the cable from the starter solenoid to the motor, as the end was a little discoloured.
Taking the insulation off of the cable, there is corrosion on the copper conductors over 14 INCHES back up the cable. Not good for flowing enough current to get the motor to turn over the engine.

Replacing the cable now spins the motor over much easier and the starting issues may be a thing of the past. Maybe. Time will tell...

So if you are also having starting issues and there is ANY corrosion, this may be the problem. :lol:

Alex.
fabiostar

Re: Starter Motor Cable.

Post by fabiostar »

it seems to be a common problem on storms.... its a tad strange but my yellow one always sounds lazy to spin over. even taking the starter,cable and battery etc outa the other one its still lazy compared to the blue one. always starts ok just always been a lazy spinner..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Checked voltage and current draw?
It could be the cable from battery to the relay.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

This is super common on all bikes with an exposed starter and positive terminal. Most every older bike I get my hands on has some corrosion at the starter end of the cable.
Besides new cable, use adhesive lined heat shrink tube on the lug end, and solder on the open exposed end of the wire/lug to seal it against water and other contaminant intrusion.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training