New chain time

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Re: New chain time

Post by jchesshyre »

TaxiDriver wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:23 pm Afam make a nifty looking riveter too,also available @ demon around £16
What great timing your post is. I'm going on that very site tonight to look for a chain tool :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:15 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm It sounds like you had a good deal at that price. Did you get JT or PowerRite sprockets :?:
The kit arrived today. The sprockets are neither JT nor PowerRite but 'AFAM' - never heard of them - hope they're not sh*t. It's a D.I.D.-made kit so hopefully they're not.

The chain looks HENCH: Image
I didn't realise you had to order it, I thought you must have collected it on the day you visited the shop. Thanks for the info :thumbup:
The chain certainly looks the business 8)

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:49 pm
TaxiDriver wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:23 pm Afam make a nifty looking riveter too,also available @ demon around £16
What great timing your post is. I'm going on that very site tonight to look for a chain tool :thumbup:
If you buy the Afam rivet tool please let us know how it performs...... :thumbup: 0
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

If it's one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... SwBUVZyzvP

Save up a bit more & buy a decent splitter/riviter.

I did one chain OK, the second one it gave up the ghost during the riviting. Bending & stripping the threads...IMO crap.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Yeah I need a splitter/side-plate presser/riveter, not just a riveter, so I'm probably going to splash out £82 on the D.I.D. one.

Anyone know if the 'D.I.D.-style' ones by cheaper makes are any good?

As I said I had a Sealey one strip its threads spectacularly (and alarmingly) while I was spreading the rivet last time. I managed to finish it off with a hammer and punch but I don't want a repeat of that!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For a chain riveter that will last you a lifetime and has easily available spare parts then a Whale is what you want.
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... chain-tool

I had one like in the following vid but the pin eventually bent and snapped off. I still have the threaded bolt riveter and now rivit the chain before putting it on the bike. Lay the chain on a bit of timber, place the threaded bolt over the link and hit it with hammer.

==============================Enter the Darkside
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thank you muchly for this! Looks great and you've saved me £14 over the D.I.D. one. The spare parts availability is great to know of too.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

jchesshyre wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm Thank you muchly for this! Looks great and you've saved me £14 over the D.I.D. one. The spare parts availability is great to know of too.
'can I borrow it'............. :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Admittedly in Germany, however this company offers to rivet your chain for you at no extra cost if you request it on purchase:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chain-Set-Ho ... SwmNxafIIN

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Anyone see Dragons Den at the weekend? The inventor of this item was on there pitching for some cash -

Seems like a good idea for anyone not confident setting the tension.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm Anyone see Dragons Den at the weekend? The inventor of this item was on there pitching for some cash -

Seems like a good idea for anyone not confident setting the tension.
I missed that on TV, not a bad idea at all for the inexperienced I agree :thumbup:

Chris.