Why is the indicator switch so sh*t?!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Why is the indicator switch so sh*t?!

Post by jchesshyre »

A few months ago I had to completely disassemble and clean my indicator switch to get it to work properly. I stuffed it with silicone grease. All was great.

Now all of a sudden it's misbehaving again. It was initially just the RH indicator. I sprayed a load of contact lubricant in there and it was fine, but now this morning neither worked until I'd pissed around with them, on and off, left and right, for about a minute.

Is there anything else I can do or is it new switch time? It's bloody dangerous trying to ride with them like this, unless you just decide to abandon them and use hand signals.
MacV2

Re: Why is the indicator switch so sh*t?!

Post by MacV2 »

It might be that the relay is shagged, try swapping that over see if it make a difference.

I think I have one in the box of bits...Switch gear I only have a US spec one...No light switch, its wired on to run dip perm. So all you get is a high beam switch, indis & horn...TBH I'm not sure if it will work on UK spec bike re the loom..I really should try it to see.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks for the offer Mac but I'm sure it's the switch. If I wobble the button up and down or push it in slightly when it's misbehaving, it usually sorts it out (temporarily). But doing this and looking down to see if it's worked whilst riding along is far from ideal.

Cleaning it also completely sorted it...until it went wrong again after three months.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Same on my storm and blackbird. Every time they are stood up for a few weeks, they stop working. Usually have switch clean and re lubricate. However, i did find last time just wiggling util it worked and then leaving it on for 10 mins seem to help to
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

It's odd that they're like this on these bigger Hondas whilst in 200,000 miles on two CB500s (one 1996 made in Japan, one 1997 made in Italy) — a supposedly lower spec bike — I never had a single problem with any of the switchgear.
Last edited by jchesshyre on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh the loom is diffrent on the US ones. I accidently bought one when I had a split in the casing around the main beam flash button so it ended up popping out, so stripped down the US one and only used the plastics. A bit of a pain in the butt fiddly little job actually.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

jchesshyre wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 am A few months ago I had to completely disassemble and clean my indicator switch to get it to work properly. I stuffed it with silicone grease. All was great.

Now all of a sudden it's misbehaving again. It was initially just the RH indicator. I sprayed a load of contact lubricant in there and it was fine, but now this morning neither worked until I'd pissed around with them, on and off, left and right, for about a minute.
Is there anything else I can do or is it new switch time? It's bloody dangerous trying to ride with them like this, unless you just decide to abandon them and use hand signals.
Mines the same,
The indicator switch and headlamp switch are both a bit dodgy.
The headlamp is fine with regular cleaning but the indicator switch always gives grief..
I find the indicators will eventually come on if I leave without jiggling but 3-5 second delay ain't really acceptable!
Still it's not as dangerous as a potentially failing headlamp.
Anybody got a 'cheap' spare lh switch for sale?
C'mon help out a fellow stormer who's bought a lemon and is gallanty neglecting work, family, sleep, pub etc in order to revive her!
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:09 pm
Mines the same,
The headlamp is fine with regular cleaning but the indicator switch always gives grief..
I find the indicators will eventually come on if I leave without jiggling but 3-5 second delay ain't really acceptable!
C'mon help out a fellow stormer who's bought a lemon and is gallanty neglecting work, family, sleep, pub etc in order to revive her!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR100 ... Swnw9aCbiB
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm
fatfreddy000 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:09 pm
Mines the same,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR100 ... Swnw9aCbiB
I have asked a fellow hoarder if he has one he is going to check tomorrow...I only have a US spec one you might be able to take it apart & swap the switch over...fiddly but doable...
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Mac asked me and I had a look. Turns out I do indeed have one. Came off a parts bike so I have never used it but it should work well. Its been in the shed for a few months but seems grand. Right isnt quite as quick as left but certainly nowhere near the delay you are experiencing. Bit of lube would probably help too.

20 to your door if interested.
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

PM sent to you, StormyRob.

Many thanks Mac for enquiring about this.

Anyone know the best type of grease to pack the switch with? I have some silicone grease from Maplin which I used but I don't think it's the right type as it all sort of melted and started dripping out onto my fairing, which looked most unfortunate.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:44 pm PM sent to you, StormyRob.

Anyone know the best type of grease to pack the switch with? I have some silicone grease from Maplin which I used but I don't think it's the right type as it all sort of melted and started dripping out onto my fairing, which looked most unfortunate.
dielectric grease,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Permatex-811 ... SwPe1UEWZQ
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:06 pm
jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:44 pm PM sent to you, StormyRob.

dielectric grease,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Permatex-811 ... SwPe1UEWZQ
Permatex Dielectric Grease is silicone grease by a fancy name (Polydimethylsiloxane) - also found, believe it or not, in McDonald's Chicken McNuggets and French fries, and Wendy's French fries, and to treat head lice, breast implants and silly putty... oh it also makes hair shiny. :shh:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts