Fuel tank hoses

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KatanaKid

Re: Fuel tank hoses

Post by KatanaKid »

I'm glad Frank is in your garage and not mine. I had funnel webs (worlds most deadly) and trapdoor spiders in my garden when i was living in Sydney. We get wolf spiders and white tails in our house all the time. White tails apparently can rot your flesh if they bite you and wolf spiders are known to be aggressive at times. Both instill fear in me an the lads, while my wife calmly scoops them up in a container and puts them outside. We don't have any insect spray in the house but our friends who just moved over from Manchester a few years ago have every spray you can imagine :)

Here is a lovely Sydney funnelweb saying hello

Cheers
Maybe swearing will help
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow look at them fangs. That picture will be turning Mac on about now.

As for the pipes. The one I was talking about is a fuel overflow so if that was disconnected you may have had a bit of leakage from there if you overfilled the tank. The other smaller one with plastic one way valve is the breather. Stick with the standard air filter.
==============================Enter the Darkside
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Great thanks VTR.

Is the one way valve necessary for the breather hose to function correctly?

I wonder how Frank would go against a funnel web.
Maybe swearing will help
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Here are a couple of pictures i took of the petcock before i changed the diaphragms. Sorry they aren't the greatest. The kit had both diaphragms, O ring, spring and four screws.

Maybe swearing will help
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Iv'e never had the valve off so not sure how it would behave without. It also acts as a reducer as the pipe that attaches to the tank is much smaller.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KatanaKid wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:10 pm Great thanks VTR.

He would just stamp on it...Much the same as I would... :lol: :lol:

Or use Spider removal tool No.1...a rolled up newspaper & thwack the hairy cu*t !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

KatanaKid wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:10 pm Great thanks VTR.

Well here in the states my '97 (well '98 here) never came with a one way valve or anything else in the tank vent lines.
Just straight lines, so you should have no issues running without the valve. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

I hope you'd be quick enough with the newspaper. Funnel webs have been known to eat whole magazines and the paper boy. And there is a very good chance of staining your trousers while you flee in terror as you attempt to squish the hairy jerk.

Thanks Hawk. Yea seemed to run ok without it.

Now that I ran the tank dry I realised that the low fuel light wasn't working so I bridged the gap between the connector terminals on the fuel reserve sensor connector under the seat and the light came on, which tells me the sensor in the tank is faulty. Of course I found this out AFTER I had put it all back together. How much i would like a reserve tank and manual fuel tap right now...
Maybe swearing will help
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

So now my bike has developed a substantial leak from the rear cylinder rocker cover gasket, right near to where petrol from the petcock was leaking out and landing on the hot exhaust for a smoking good time. Anyone seen this before?

Rocker cover seems pretty straightforward, anything to look out for?

cheers
Maybe swearing will help
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

So now my bike has developed a substantial leak from the rear cylinder rocker cover gasket
Oil?

Have you had the cam cover off? Make sure the gasket is seated properly and a dab/smear of silicone gasket will help it stay in place when refitting esp around the half-moons.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sometimes one of the half moons doesn't locate, especially on the rear head.
That allows oil vapour and oil from the head to leak.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

The manual recommends adding gasket sealer to the half-moon sections of the camcover gasket. I've tried without, and that was not a good idea.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The other top end oil leak possibility is the head breathers, one for each cylinder, that connect the cam box cover to the underside of the airbox.
These are fiddly to connect properly, you need tiny Japanese hands to get the front one to stay on as you put the airbox lower section onto the top of the carbs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks gents. I have ordered a new rocker cover gasket from WA and will have a go at that when I get a chance/motivated
Maybe swearing will help
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

I managed to find some gumption and installed the new rocker gasket this morning. All up took me a little more than an hour and surprise surprise, NO LEAKS! The old gasket was pretty chewed out from the petrol leaking on to it. I ended up using tiny smears of gasket goo in strategic places on the head where the gasket was trying to slide off when placed, then carefully slipped the rocker cover down over the assembly and tightened up the four bolts. I got a fright at one point when i thought one of the fat washers that sit under the bolts had fallen in to the cam chain assembly, but found it still sitting in the rocker cover. :?
Maybe swearing will help