Srtipping Naked...totally

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Twinisin

Srtipping Naked...totally

Post by Twinisin »

Now that I've got y'all attention, ("yuz" if you're up North). I'm stripping my bike totally and rebuilding it. Engine, suspension, hopefully fuel injection from SV1000, etc. I've been into bikes over 30 years and built a few customs from scratch. Most of the stuff I can figure out and Yes, I did spend several evenings reading up on here about general stuff. What I'm looking for is some "heads up" stuff before I get into it. Things to watch out for during the strip and re-assembly. This is a long term project, so I'm not in a hurry since I've got two other bikes on the bench and two waiting their turn. Thanks for the input guys, I'd rather spend 10 hours wrenching than 10 minutes on google. I'm also on U.S. site since I'm in Florida but I'm reaching out to UK because I like how you guys think outside the box, I have no box. Cheers
tony.mon

Re: Srtipping Naked...totally

Post by tony.mon »

These are quite straightforward bikes, but use the manual to find all of the crankcase bolts as some are tricky to spot when stripping the engine, and take photos of the wiring harness routing.

And you'll need boxes!
Especially if you're stripping several bikes at once, to keep the parts separate.

All parts are reusable except the clutch centre nut and big end bolts.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

SV1000 fuel injection perked up my ears :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Twinisin

Post by Twinisin »

Clutch center nut and big end bolts not reusable? Hmmm...The 1st gen SV1000 has a very hackable fuel injection system, without mapping.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Efi?
Check to see what input signals are needed, crank position sensor, cam position sensor etc.
Revs and throttle position will also be required.
You can add these but note that the crankcases from a later model Varadero should fit, and they already have these on.

But the vara throttle bodies are too small.

One possibility is using SP1 or sp2 bodies with vara cases and ignition unit.
If you fit a pcv you will be able to access the fuelling tables easily enough.

But it will be cheaper to sell your bike and buy an Sp2.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.