Valve Clearance ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SadFool

Re: Valve Clearance ?

Post by SadFool »

VTRDark wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 pm
Screw is out from the rear cylinder, now waiting for the head gasket to arrive.

Front cylinder valve clearance once again measured
Hopefully you are aware that the measurments will change with the head on the bike and cam chain tensioned up. Doing valve clearance with the head off is only a rough guide and not accurate.
I know. The front cylinder wasn't the one which I've taken off, this one is still on the bike (and hooked up to chain and all).

Rear cylinder showed however same measurements (with cams and camguides screwed on), so I know I need only one more shim. Before I buy that one though I'll put the head back on first and measure properly again :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

This is why buying a shim set for 70 quid seems like reasonable value; you can do the job in a day and don't have to keep waiting for bits to arrive.

You can stick anything in on the bench and measure once, fit the correct size, recheck and go riding.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SadFool

Post by SadFool »

Quick update guys.

After setting the timing correct, buying some shims and having the proper clearance, removing the rear head to get that little screw out, putting it back together and breaking off a valve cover bolt, fishing the cable tie out of the oil sump, I was finally able to put her temporarily back together...

And she is running. Super sweet, no rattles or anything.

Now I just need to wait for some parts, service the brakes, balance the carbs and she is ready for the road again!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

See?
It was easy in the end.
Next time it'll be a half hour job.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

SadFool wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 pm Quick update guys.

After setting the timing correct, buying some shims and having the proper clearance, removing the rear head to get that little screw out, putting it back together and breaking off a valve cover bolt, fishing the cable tie out of the oil sump, I was finally able to put her temporarily back together...

And she is running. Super sweet, no rattles or anything.

Now I just need to wait for some parts, service the brakes, balance the carbs and she is ready for the road again!
Well done, at least you got the job done in the end :thumbup:

Chris.