Have you fitted external filters to the crankcase breathers?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Have you fitted external filters to the crankcase breathers?

Post by freeridenick »

I've got the filters, cleaned the airbox out but I can't find anything to fit between the filters and the breather pipes.

The collector box in the airbox has fittings for the pipes but they are too short to fit the filters on too if I cut them off. Second option of finding some plumbing pipe is kiboshed as 18mm pipe isn't a standard anywhere.

What did you use if you've done this already?
Stephan

Re: Have you fitted external filters to the crankcase breathers?

Post by Stephan »

I see many options how to do, probably you can use some hose connector like this
https://burscough-aquatics.com/20mm-hosetail.html

or cut piece of suitable metal tube, or find someone with lathe who can do it for you from piece of plastics.

My way would be to draw the part in cad and 3D print, have no problem to do it if you give me dimensions, but there are postage costs ... Or if you have anybody nearby with possibility of 3D print, it would be easier.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm Have you fitted external filters to the crankcase breathers?
Curious ...To what end? the stock ones are trash anyway and need replacement?
To make the air box easier to remove and replace, not having to guide, line up and fit those two hoses to the underside of the air box?
To separate what might be heated air from motor contaminating in the air box air flow?
Something else?
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:26 pm
freeridenick wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm Have you fitted external filters to the crankcase breathers?
Curious ...To what end? the stock ones are trash anyway and need replacement?
To make the air box easier to remove and replace, not having to guide, line up and fit those two hoses to the underside of the air box?
To separate what might be heated air from motor contaminating in the air box air flow?
Something else?
Mainly to remove as much as possible from the airbox that reduces volume and might interfere with smooth airflow.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I routed both to a T and fit a Krankvent. I then attached a small cone filter to the outlet side in the event that the KV screws up and lets air in
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express