Clutch Bleeding/Bleedin' Clutch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TaxiDriver

Clutch Bleeding/Bleedin' Clutch

Post by TaxiDriver »

I've been fiddler the lever for over an hour and still can't get the fluid to move.
I've pushed some fluid into the lower nipple with a syringe but can only get a bit in before it meets
a lot of pressure.
I'm using a one way valve bleed kit,anyone got any advice please.
cheekykev

Re: Clutch Bleeding/Bleedin' Clutch

Post by cheekykev »

Reverse bleed it with a syringe first till you see fluid in the reservoir, then bleed the normal way to finish off, at first it might feel like you're getting nowhere but just keep at it, it will happen, works for me every time
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

cheekykev wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:45 pm Reverse bleed it with a syringe first till you see fluid in the reservoir, then bleed the normal way to finish off, at first it might feel like you're getting nowhere but just keep at it, it will happen, works for me every time
I did try that Kev but I couldn't get more than a syringe worths in before it started backing up under pressure.
When I took the tube off I was rewarded with a dot4 shower.... :roll:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

TaxiDriver wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:35 pm When I put the lube on I was rewarded with a dot4 shower.... :roll:
Kinky............ :bondage: :Stewy:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''I'm using a one way valve bleed kit,anyone got any advice please.''

My advice is to throw that away...

Start again. Remove the one way doobri...Take all the fluid back out. Syring from the bleed nipple until you get fluid coming back up into the res pot.

When I've done it, quite a few times, I leave the syring in place then bleed as normal. Crack, pump, hold, tighten & release. repeat for several mins keeping a very close eye on the res level, if it drops & sucks air in...start again.

After a few goes I use the syringe as a vac bleed by pulling presure with the nipple closed then open it & always seem to get some bubbles out. Then go back to C,P,H,T & R...

Its also woth cracking the banjo at the lever end & pump the leaver, as air can get trapped there...Loads of rags as it will leak fluid.

This way works for me & has done loads of times...

If you stick with the normal method expect to be pumping 20-30 mins before you get any presure...

Good luck.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh those one way bleed valves never seem to work properly and draw more air in.

It's a laborious task bleeding the clutch. Just keep at it and keep an eye on the reservoir level and you will get there eventually.
Last edited by VTRDark on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

So why am I feeling extreme pressure on the syringe whilst trying to force fluid into the nipple?

It really won't take on any more fluid,just backing up in the tubing!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

One way bleed valve...the clue is in one way and that way is out. The idea behind them is that you loosen the nipple off and then simply pump away at the lever but I found myself using them like a normal nipple and tightening it back up when releasing the lever and loosening off to squeeze fluid through. They have a little valve on a spring inside them I think or ball bearing that moves and these either get clogged up and stick or simple don't operate right to begin with. Fantastic idea but like I say they didn't work for me. A bit gimmicky if you ask me. Standard bleed nipples with a bit of PTFE tape around the thread seems to work the best.

The best thing I have ever come up with to help with bleeding is a Catheter bag with a line and the one way valve in the line. These type of things but with the bag to catch the drained fluid. Simple but effective. You can actually see the air in the tube too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-Motorcyc ... SwzRlaQ8C1

Motorcycle Brake Bleeding Kit / Bleeder / Tool
==============================Enter the Darkside
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I've just bled the back brake with the oneway valve,piece of piss to use.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:15 pm So why am I feeling extreme pressure on the syringe whilst trying to force fluid into the nipple?

It really won't take on any more fluid,just backing up in the tubing!!
That seems rather odd to me.
I've not back feed the clutch, but I have done it with the front brakes using a syringe just like you are trying quite a few times. I use the syringe to remove as much of the fluid as I can from the brake reservoir, then with new fluid in the syringe open the bleed nipple and force the fluid back up through the system keeping an eye on the reservoir as you do so.

It sounds like you are not getting any fluid back up into the reservoir :?:

You're not trying to go through your one-way valve by any chance :?:

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

No Chris,bleed nipple open,syringe attached,push syringe with fluid,no joy!!.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

While you can not back fill the system with a speed bleeder or one way valve, I have never had an issue with using them.
Maybe different manufacturer.

Anyway the normal place for air to become trapped and cause all kinds of issues is at the banjo bolt of the master cyl.
It is the high point of the system.

So start with it, then fluid should flow and then bleed away. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
popkat

Post by popkat »

It's possible the clutch line is damaged on the inside, if there's a small flap inside then back bleeding will cause it to block and build pressure, have heard of this before but it might not be your problem.

Here's how I bleed them
Get a long piece of bleed tube, one end on the nipple and the other in a pot, lift the pot with tube in it up above the level of the master cylinder. you may need someone to hold it up there. Open the bleed nipple and pump, keep the reservoir topped up, keep pumping eventually you will start getting fluid and air coming out, once a fair bit of air has come out shut the nipple and see if there's any lever pressure, it will take a good few pumps, if there is then go to bleeding the normal way (keep the pot high) pull lever, open nipple, close nipple, pump..repeat. if this doesn't work go back to step one.... when you think you have a good lever keep bleeding for a while. when your happy with it leave it for a while and then go back and give it another bleed, very easy for trapped air to stay in the line.

When bleeding keep something over the reservoir pot to protect your screen and paintwork, they can spit fluid up from the pot.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

So me and BrianC were wondering what was going on with this clutch,I said I wonder if its the aftermarket lever,so we put the original one back on,fitted the oneway bleeder and low behold it bled straight away.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 pm So me and BrianC were wondering what was going on with this clutch,I said I wonder if its the aftermarket lever,so we put the original one back on,fitted the oneway bleeder and low behold it bled straight away.
:lol:
I'm glad you worked it out in the end, well done to you both :clap:

Chris.