Question for the Electricians...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SadFool

Question for the Electricians...

Post by SadFool »

Hi All,

the Storm is rebuilt, ready for the road - nearly.

My charging is a bit odd on my Storm. The Service Manual says switch on high-beam, rev to 5k rpm and check, that the battery charging is between 13.5 and 15V.
Done that; my bike charges 13.6V in idle but when I rev up to 5k rpm, it drops down to 12.9 - 13.0V, which is quite odd. So I've done all the testing as per service manual and came to the conclusion, that it has to be the R/R.

Now I also have my Blackbird, which uses the same type of R/R (at least from a connector point of view). This R/R produces on the Bird a steady 14.1V. I switched it over to the Storm, started the Storm and now she produces 14.5V at idle, but still drops to 13.9V under load.

So I thought let's see how the 'faulty' r/r is performing on the bird, and now the surprising thing: it's running at 14.1V at idle (and varies between 13.9 and 14.5V when revving).

Now my questions:
1. The R/R aren't the same part numbers between the Storm and the Bird, the only same thing is the form and the connector. Is it safe to swap them or are they supposed to be different in terms of in/output?
2. How can a R/R on one bike appear to be faulty, but not on the other one?
3. Am I safe assuming it's the R/R, which is at fault?
4. All tests for the stator went through fine on the Storm - is there anything else I can check apart from resistance (between 0.2 and 0.5 Ohm) and shortage to ground?

Hope above makes sense to you guys, cause it doesn't to me...

Cheers,
Marc
tony.mon

Re: Question for the Electricians...

Post by tony.mon »

Swap it back again and re-test. The fault is probably in the connector block, by unplugging it and plugging it in to the Bird, you will have cleaned up the connections.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SadFool

Post by SadFool »

The weird thing though is that the voltage drops when revving. Normally it should be going up with the revs, right?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Battery is getting tired by the sounds of it.

Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

SadFool wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 pm The weird thing though is that the voltage drops when revving. Normally it should be going up with the revs, right?
No, that is normal.
Don't know why, but it happens......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SadFool

Post by SadFool »

Quick update:

New starter motor, but same symptoms that it would start super shitty. Cleaned starter solenoid connections and gave it a new 30A fuse, as the old one fell apart.

Put a separate ground cable between R/R and the battery (-).

Cleaned all connectors from and to R/R as well as stator...

Fired her up: Now she charges properly.

Next steps: Remove the connector from stator to R/R (right behind tank), as this is already brown-ish :wtf:

Cheers,
Marc