Standard Alarm Fault

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Ruddhulk56

Standard Alarm Fault

Post by Ruddhulk56 »

Hi all.

Recently purchased my 1997 VTR and I love it. Only 2 faults...
Ignition switch wont go round to the steering lock position... possibly some WD40 and a wiggle will fix that???
The other is that the standard alarm fitted won't activate. It is wired in and thebfon is charged and working but there is nothing happening on the bike itself, any ideas?
mags@port

Re: Standard Alarm Fault

Post by mags@port »

Yes try wd40 and jiggle key around, but don't force it. Maybe some debris is stopping it. As for alarm, if it's been fitted in 1997, I would think along the lines of all the owners that it's been chopped and altered or disconnected due to draining the battery etc. I would even consider removing it altogether, as its old and easily bypassed these days.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No such thing as a standard alarm. The later model did come with an imobilser but your early model did not. Alarms..especially older one can be a real pain and it's best to remove them altogether once they start to play up. No idea what is wrong with it without more info. As for the ignition lock, have you got the standard forks and yokes? Remove the fairing so you can see what's going on and check if the ignition barrel is lining up with the hole.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Mine used to have a Meta alarm. PITA - stripped it out eons ago after it wouldn't de-immobilise the bike, which luckily was in the garage at the time, not 100 miles away!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!